Network Rail unnerving plans for works along Gospel Oak - Barking line

1235»

Comments

• We'll have no trouble here!

Propelled across the land in a carriage of no horse drawn, belching Satan's black wind into our clean and local air!

This is a decent town and a local shop; there's nothing for you here!
  • What’s all this shouting?!
  • I live backing on to that line. I don't find the works that bad to be honest - there was one night where it was a bit rubbish but that was a long time ago now. Generally speaking you do notice the trains - they are a downside to that location, but I prefer them to a busy road, and the outlook with the trees is a positive (now that they're no longer under threat - hurrah!)
  • I overlook the line and it is fine provided you do not mind the heavy freight trains which come through across the day including overnight. The Overground services are not very noisy and will be less so once they are no longer diesel. Otherwise it is much quieter than living by a busy road and the line is a bit of a nature reserve.
  • Anyone know what that godawful racket was at 04:30 this morning - sounded like they were trying to drill their way to australia?
  • Got a letter through today saying Crouch Hill will be closed between 19th Feb 2018 and 29th April 2018 with temp traffic lights in operation from 3rd Jan until 1st June. Going to be fun for the good people of Crouch End and the W7 users!

Says they are working with Haringey council on diversion route, thought this was Islington? And I'd have thought the diversion route should go through Islington.
  • I'd imagine it will divert along Stapleton Hall Rd, Ferme Park Rd and then Mount View.
  • Yeah maybe, buses can't do that though. Reckon they'll do Hornsey Road and Hanley Road which will be much slower - though means better bus service for me!
  • Just received another of those Network Rail 'information' update letters. While the work is coming to an end (hurrah) they will be doing commissioning work every Saturday night until April. More fun and games!
  • edited February 2018
    Another letter through the door today detailing the arrangements for the total road closure 19/02 through to 30/04.

In keeping with the genius displayed thus far the suggested routes for diverted traffic are going to cause chaos. They’ve opted for an anti-clockwise traffic flow. All northbound traffic directed along Stapleton and Ferme Park Roads with all southbound traffic directed along Crouch End Hill, Hornsey Road and Hanley Road. Therefore all diverted traffic forced to make a right-turn at Fiveways. I highly doubt the traffic lights will retimed to suit.

I fully expect Shaftesbury and Ashley Roads to the west and Blythwood and Mount Pleasant Villas to the east to become rat-runs to be avoided.

10 frigging weeks of chaos.
  • @poxy, "Therefore all diverted traffic forced to make a right-turn at Fiveways." If the southbound road is closed there won't be any oncoming traffic to impede the right turn, will there? So perhaps not such idiocy.
  • You're only considering the traffic heading north. What about the southbound diverted traffic arriving via Hanley Road? Also, making the northbound right turn is less efficient than making the left turn as drivers will still have to give way to the small volume of local traffic heading south.
  • Already noticed a ton of extra cars on Hanley Road, which is a pain for us residents. You are right Poxy, that is the wrong way round to divert people. If they have to then they should go North with a left turn onto Hanley Road from Stroud Green Road, or can come straight over from Stapleton Hall Road. That southbound right turn on to Stroud Green from Hanley Road will cause chaos, as when cars are waiting to turn right and blocked by oncoming traffic from Stapleton Hall it backs the traffic up, as often there isn't enough of a gap to get round them.
  • Ah yes, there is that...
  • It will come as no surprise to many that there's more delays: http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/new-overground-trains-for-gospel-oak-to-barking-line-delayed-by-three-months-1-5491792

Road closed for an extra 3 days, and the new trains delayed for another 3 months. Got to admit though, as an occasional mainly off-peak user I quite like the existing trains - you get to look out of the window without craning your neck or staring at a stranger, but for commuters I can see how badly overcrowded they can get during peak times, so this delay is unwelcome news for many.
  • While this thread is live again I just wanted to say I saw and heard a pair of Tawny owls in the trees on the embankment abutting my garden the other night - hurrah for sensitive vegetation clearance.