Shoe Repair

edited June 2010 in Local discussion
Hi there,

New to the area and a very mundane question - can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful (yet reliable) shoe repair place in the area? Imagine there must be one somewhere on Stroud Green Rd or Blackstock Rd, but haven't spotted one yet...

Thanks

Comments

• edited 3:22PM
    Crouch End, opposite the YMCA. The name eludes me. I've take a couple of pairs in for repairs before now and I've been happy with the results.
    Andrews on Hornsey Road (bottom end) is cheap and cheerful and have always done a good job on basic repairs/re-heeling for me.
    cheers guys - might try out Andrews for size as pass by that way on my way home!
    discussed around this time last year: [shoe repair](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/1502/decent-shoe-repair-place) Callis Shoe Repairs (32 Tottenham Lane) are the nephew and niece of Elias who used to be in the small shop at the bottom of Ferme Park Road/Stapleton Hall Road. We recommend them as well.
    i have been taking my shoes to the dry cleaners a few doors down from woody's, by the bus stop and they have been absolutely fine and slightly cheaper than crouch end.
    Yes, I recommend the dry cleaner's near Woody's too. They seem to use better quality heel tips than many.
    Don't go to the one near Finsbury Park station, next to Budget Supermarket. I've had a bad experience with them.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Don't go near the bloke in Nags Head Market. He "fixes" your boots by destroying them
    I have a particular penchant for extravagant and impractical shoes and until today I hadn't found a local cobbler who I could trust with repairing my treasures.

This afternoon I took a favourite pair that needed a bit of love and stitching to the Master Cobbler (just beside Godfreys butchers). Lo and behold he did the tiny amount of stitching for free! Yes, free 'as it's such a small job'.

And they had most splendid array of coloured shoe creams and polishes including the hitherto unobtainable Cobalt Blue.

I highly recommend them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I was just about the recommend the Master Cobbler on Highbury Barn too!

I used to work 2 minutes away and was in there every other week during the winter. Jimmy would often do minor repairs for me for nowt and every third reheeling or so they wouldn't charge either (especially the cheeky Bulgarian chap).

A lot of my female collegues got the same service too. I think that it must have been because we were all such regulars and spent a fortune in there!

They do a really good job, so very happy to recommend!
    The other advantage of the excellent Master Cobbler is they are generally happy to repair as you wait, giving you the option of a visit to the superb cheese shop opposite...
    La Fromagerie... swoon.
  • Just used this thread to sort a local shoe-repair place, so ... off to Callis ... I often used the Elias guy mentioned above when he had a shop on the bridge opposite Station House on Stapleton Hall Road (yonks ago when I lived on Ridge Road) ... I did nott realise that the family had shifted business just up the road ....thanks fellow SG.org-ers also found a Callis video on YouTube
  • I vote for Callis too, they now have a shoe shop in CE as well. On my last visit they gave me a pair of free laces. Can't ask for better than that.
  • edited December 2017
  • Thanks for the information, I need to bring a pair there in the next few days.
  • Misscara<div><br></div><div>Callis is is in Crouch End, kind of opposite the YMCA.</div><div>I noticed a new shop with their name on the Broadway, on the stretch near the Sable D'Or patisserie/cafe'.</div><div>Not sure if this is an addition to the business or if they have moved there.</div><div><br></div><div>My favourite shoe repair is Andy's on Hornsey Road, between the junction with Seven Sister Road and the Sobell.  He has done a lot of stuff for me, including stretching some boots and I keep going back there.</div>
  • edited February 2013
    I am referring to Callis opposite the YMCA. 37 Broadway Parade Tottenham Lane London N8 9DB
  • RoyRoy
    edited February 2013
    Not exactly local, but I'd like to recommend KG Shoes, Eversholt Street, near Mornington Crescent.  Alegedly they have the contract to do shoe repairs for Harods, and the Queen's shoes have passed through their workshops - although I guess that latter part is probably a myth.<br><br>They don't seem noticeably more expensive than other places but they are good for complicated repairs that many places won't touch (like broken shanks).<br><br>www.cobbler.co.uk<br>
  • Another endorsement of Callis (near The Queens). I took a pair of shoes in at 10am last Saturday, they were re-heeled (and cleaned and polished) by 2pm. Very good service.<br>
  • Great service from Callis, I dropped off a pair of boots 10 days ago. They replaced a broken zip in my favourite boots very professionally, rehealed and polished them. Very happy and saved me time and money in trying to find a replacement. I was a bit taken aback at the length of time they originally quoted but when I saw what a good job they did I realised that good repair takes time.
  • I can personally recommend a service which isn't exactly cheap but still offers good value for money if you would like to completely restore your shoes or sneakers --> try www.shoespa.co.uk They can advise what they can or cannot do and the price estimate