Oxford House Planning Application

SG Residents fond of the lovely art deco Oxford House have until 9th February to reply to the latest planning application by offshore developers Ref HGY/2018/0064 Contact me for more details of the local campaign - I have asked for the deadline to be extended - raj.sahota@haringey.gov.uk

Comments

• In a nutshell, what's the application for?
  • edited February 2018
    Raising the roof to accommodate a 2nd floor level residential addition (containing 2x2 bed, 2x1 bed and 1x3 bed flats) to the existing building

There are private terraces on the plans too, which seems particularly objectionable given the quiet nature of the street. Several residents opposite are pursuing the 'lack of sunlight' argument to object to the building, as it will cut out midday sun.

• So what is happening to the development? I can see that a lot of work has been done and there is rumble everywhere, but no one is working on it anymore. I haven't seen anyone working there for months.

I do understand that it's good to oppose it, but I would also like to understand what is the alternative for the site? I guess that the redevelopment is good, but it's not good that there will be the addition of an extra floor? Or do you oppose the redevelopment completely?

Thanks
  • The alternative would be to build something that is in proportion with the surrounding properties and maintain the attractive facade - they have planning permission for that but they keep trying to get something much bigger and unsuitable. If they had got on with building in line with the permission they had the work would be almost finished by now.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    My personal opinion is that it is not a particularly important or attractive building and this is an opportunity to build something even better. The only redeeming feature in my opinion is a tower at one end. Seems to me like an extra floor would simply match the height of the rest of the street but I would prefer it if they demolished it and started again with something top notch.
  • Why is it special?

It looks like it needs knocking down and replacing with something fitting to the street and not cramming with tiny flats.
  • It used to look special - a rare bit of art-deco around here - until it was mauled by the developer who stripped off most of the external character features. They've given assurances that these will be restored, but we'll see. This latest proposal is *relatively* sensitive to the original building, and apparently the CAAC don't object.
    My view is that it looked crap before the developer messed around with it. A new building designed well would be better than what was there before.
  • edited February 2018
    It deserves to be rescued for its celebrity status alone, since apparently it was at one time a film production studio and where the original "Thunderbirds" was made. Lady Penelope was here.
    Maybe someone should fire a rocket at it.
  • edited February 2018
    @krappyrubsnif Where did you get the information about Thunderbirds? I had never heard of this before. My father worked in Oxford House in the '60s (and maybe early '70s), when it was Kay Laboratories, which processed film for the cinematographic industry. The company was later absorbed into MGM (possibly via Rank Xerox). Kay Labs may well have processed the film for Thunderbirds, but I've never heard any mention of Oxford house being used for actual production.
  • It was processing, then.

• Are you serious? Oxford house is one of the ugliest eyesores in the area and would be much better served if knocked down and started over.

It's been derelict for years and prior to that it was what I can only assume some sort of scam English college.

As for the private terraces, I assume you are aware that there is a significant push by the local government to increase outside spaces. I can't be bothered to search out the London Plan policies, but good luck getting that blocked.

As for quiet street, we are talking about the same Oxford house, you know the one that leads to Finsbury Park and is used by thousands of people every day?

The nimbyism here is simply staggering.
    Absolutely. Needs knocking down completely.
  • @mkanton, don't forget it abuts a busy railway line too!
  • @mkanton It was actually used as studio space for several local businesses and writers. It only became derelict when they were all turfed out.
  • It looked great in all its painted glory, and before the external art deco features were stripped away. I wonder whether the 'eyesore' people saw it ten years ago.
  • @Arkady - Any photos of it looking nice?
  • Not in my possession, though there are a few on Google Images that show the detail that has been stripped off the exterior.
  • I did have a bit of a scroll but couldn't see anything
  • The building is mentioned here

http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/artdecobldgs.htm

or if you like Art Deco you might like this map

https://bluecrowmedia.com/products/art-deco-london-map

if you want to part with £8.

• I would be really sorry to loose Oxford House - it would not be difficult to restore the facade. I would like to see us treasure some of our quirkier buildings. The developers have been given planning permission already which most neighbors seemed content with but they keep putting new applications which if agreed would result in a building too large for the locality and services.
  • I'm not sure if this is still the ongoing thread, but the development of Oxford house seems to be well in progress - any thoughts?

The facade looks pretty decent now, but it looks like an organisation called 'Gemal College LTD' is based there - check out companies House if you're interested.
  • This is the before the work picture

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flickr_-_Duncan~_-_Oxford_House.jpg

Have they kept its style with the reno?
  • Gemal College was the previous occupant I think?
  • So, looking at companies House, looks like the company enrolled new directors in May, so I assumed they are still in operation (although granted maybe not at Oxford House.)

Re. The style, looks like they're preserving the facade and have made improvements.
  • I walked past here the other day. I thought it looked pretty good. The style is pretty consistent with pre-renovation, but obviously all fresh and new. It's going to be offices and workspaces.