Christmas Tree Disposal

The fly tipping of Christmas trees onto our pavements is driving me bonkers. Just in case anyone on here doesn't know, the council doesn't come and collect them from the pavements. Trees should be cut up into small pieces and put by your bin. There is also a collection point in Finsbury Park you can take them to. For more information see: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/environment-and-waste/refuse-and-recycling/recycling/christmas-tree-recycling

Comments

• There were loads of people dragging trees to the park today. It was quite a funny sight.

I took ours, and another two I found on the streets on the way over.

Apparently those that live in Islington get theirs collected whole along with their bins.
  • I live on Islington side. the council ask us to leave our trees beside the road after Jan 6th and they collect on recycling day - Thursday.
    Sunnyside Park community garden in Elthorne Park also recycles them if you take them there.
    There are lots of other places to recycle trees in Islington. https://www.islington.gov.uk/recycling-and-rubbish/recycling-and-rubbish-collections/christmas-tree-recycling
  • Christmas trees? CHRISTMAS TREES??? What a load of old wank! There should be a massive tax slapped on them for those idiot shoppers to pay. When I were a lad we had a wood and plastic one we'd put up and then take down every year. My parents were still using the same one after 40 years. Problems (sociopathic and environmental) solved.
  • Wood and plastic? You jammy bugger. We'd dream of a plastic tree when I were a lad. We had to make to with a pile of old rocks in the corner of the room. And that was if we were lucky.
  • edited January 2018
    I use very good quality artificial Christmas trees at work (like almost all businesses) - we put twenty eight of them up.
    The environmental damage done in the production of them must be horrific as they are made mostly from plastics, and they are all made in China. However, as you say, it does save a lot of money in the long run and they are reliably standard shapes and sizes. Difficult to get a real 12ft tree with the required shape and 'bushiness'.
    We always had a silver tinsel tree as kids but modern tinsel doesn't have the same shimmer, I don't think they use mercury in the production these days.
  • edited January 2018
    Well, @joust , when I say “tree”, it were a pencil stub stood in half a potato wi’ plastic straws fer branches. On Twelfth Night we’d take down t’ tree, dancing and sunging “alleluliah”, then our mam would stab each one of us wi’ t’ pencil stub before cooking t’ half-potato, and everyone in t’ family (there were eleven of us, all ‘uddled together in a KFC party bucket) would get a slice. Ee we were poo-ah, but we were ‘appy.

@miss annie , I’m sure modern re-usable trees (synthetic or otherwise) could be made with less environmental damage than the dozens of real trees of which they might take the place over the years.
  • i can remember eating poo sandwiches at Halloween as a kid, i hope it was Marmite.
  • Was it the poo or chocolate game? We used to play that when we had a guinea pig.
  • Wow, thankfully not, although i have eaten roasted guinea pig.
  • i'm so sad seeing these dead trees. the planet is heading very fast towards a massive climate crisis and trees are simple, efficient, cheap, carbon capture technology. doesn't anyone understand this - why would anyone with a grain of sense and knowledge think it's ok to cut down any trees at this pivotal time? it's like watching the last days of the roman empire. it hurts even more seeing children get all excited dragging their dead trees home. total insanity!
  • The trees are farmed specifily for Christmas though.
    If we stopped having Christmas trees then no one would plant and grow them.
  • "why would anyone with a grain of sense and knowledge think it's ok to cut down any trees at this pivotal time?"—the simple answer is used to validate all acts of seasonal idiocy, @rikki, which absolves those with the herd mentality of failing to have any sense whatsoever: "Well, it IS Christmas!"
  • I agree with Joust. It's not exactly the same as deforestation. At least the planet gets the benefit of the trees while they grow.
  • edited January 2019
    You should change you name to Fromthetwitter @gardener-joe :-)
  • For those in Haringey

https://www.haringey.gov.uk/environment-and-waste/refuse-and-recycling/recycling/christmas-tree-recycling

FP is at the Parkeepers buildings between the Cafe and the main gates
  • edited January 2019
    We collected 125 of the things all around Islington last night. - https://www.goodgym.org/reports/treeeedom-high-treeson

p.s. If anyone fancies a new way to get fit, whilst helping charities and generally making our area a slightly better place, come join in!
  • there are 11 fly tipped out on the road in my street. I live a 3 min walk to the collection area on the park.

I've been dragging one each day when I walk the dog.

I even saw one about 10m outside the staff yard, yesterday. As if some one just gave up a few paces away from the destination.

people really are fucking lazy.
  • Are they flytipped or just put out for the council to collect and people haven't read the bit where it says wait until recycling day?

(Possibly exacerbated by the council ignoring that too and collecting them.)

Christmas trees are specifically farmed and usually planted on land that would otherwise not be forested, so I would imagine that you end up with more trees in existence at any given time because of our seasonal habits. That would theoretically be good for the environment.

Obviously, there's then the looking after them, shipping them, extra energy used by people selling them, more lights over Christmas... who knows where we end up after that.

I'm sure the Grauniad has written a suitably hand-wringing article about it at some point (which would actually be quite interesting, he thinks, going off to Google it).
  • I don't think it says anything about putting them out on recycling day?

The closest I found is this about shopping them up and putting them in your bin:
    "If you live in a kerbside property, you can cut your tree into smaller pieces (maximum length 1 metre or 3 feet) and put it out with your normal collection"

Definitely nothing about throwing them in the road or outside someone else house :smiley:
  • If you didn't cut all the trees down you would need even more cars to get enough CO2 to feed them.
  • Mine always get collected with the garden waste. Eventually. And touch wood, since it's only been out since Sunday and collection is Friday...
  • edited January 2019
    From Islington
    https://www.islington.gov.uk/recycling-and-rubbish/recycling-and-rubbish-collections/christmas-tree-recycling

Street properties
    From 2 January put your tree on the edge of your property for collection on your recycling day or take your tree to one of the drop off points.

@HolbornFox If you didn't cut all the trees down you would need even more cars to get enough CO2 to feed them - made me chuckle