Finsbury Park Station/City North Development

Comments

• Yeah the actual lifts have been in situ for a while now. Maybe the upper corridor that links them to the entrance isn't ready.
  • I imagine the chaos with people coming down the stairs straight into big gang of people suitcases waiting for the lift!
  • @Sutent..oh yeah a Whole Foods and possibly Penhaligans?
  • Waterstones? Proper grocery?
  • A perfumier :)

Yes Waterstones would be awesome, a vinyl record store too.
  • A vinyl store wouldn't survive in a station. People don't browse in station shops, or go there specifically to shop. Besides, Flashbak is just up the road and it's great.
  • A kebab house like the one that used to be opposite the end of Lennox Rd on SGR.
  • This morning I noticed that they're laying the street surface down on the new street within the development, and the new station entrance has been glazed. The cylinder tower has topped out, as has the linear block which is being outfitted. Of the actual structure, there's just the rectangular tower and bits of the Wells Terrace street frontage to finish.

Doubtless the cladding and outfitting will take a long time, but it's not obvious to me why they expect it to take until the end of 2020 (based on the previous projections) to finish everything. And once the street and station entrance are done they have no excuse not to open them and work around them.
  • NHS walk in clinic
  • edited January 2019
  • I got an email from TFL saying that the station is now step-free from train to street - can anyone confirm that the lifts are operating? How's the flow of people working around them? (We're out of London for a while so can't check myself but am really excited to hear that there's progress!)
  • Lots about this in the Train Geek thread.
  • Telford Homes today announced a fresh six month delay to City North, with completions now expected after April 2020. Their full statement below. Don’t expect Finsbury Park station to get back to normal any time soon...

“Finally, we have experienced a disappointing delay to the construction programme at City North in Finsbury Park of approximately six months due to matters outside of our control in dealing with transport bodies and the need to coincide with works undertaken by third parties. Given that completions were largely due in the second half of FY 2020 this will have a significant impact in terms of moving profit of around £15 million from FY 2020 and into FY 2021.”
  • Compare this to the timetable I was given by the developer at the back-end of 2017:

Block C – Long linear Block 1st Phase –Wells Terrace end - Autumn 2019
    Podium - *Access to Finsbury Park London underground Station – Late Autumn 2019*
    Block C – long linear block - 2nd Phase Goodwin street end – Winter 2020
    Block B – Cylindrical Tower – Handover - Winter 2020
    Block D – Longitudinal Block along wells terrace/ shop frontage- Winter 2020
    Block A – Rectangular tower – Late Spring 2020

I don't see that there has been a delay? The only thing that seems to have slipped is the Wells Terrace access to the tube which was separately said to be Spring 2019, then delayed to 'later in the year'.
  • lazyatomlazyatom Fonthill Road
    My reading of the statement is that it's just a re-iteration of the same delay that TFL announced in January (full statement here, although what's quoted above is the only relevant part: https://www.telfordhomes-ir.london/media/press-releases/2019/strategic-and-trading-update/strategic-and-trading-update/). So basically: what Arkady said.

Also, I just saw that Boulangerie Bon Matin were announced as the previously-teased local business taking up a lease in City North (https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/finsbury-park-bakery-set-to-open-new-branch-in-city-north-shops-1-5888355, teased as "A Telford Homes spokesperson also said a local independent business will be opening up in one of the new units, but remained tight-lipped as to who it is ahead of a “big reveal” at https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/finsbury-park-city-north-telford-homes-cineworld-marks-and-spencer-gymbox-development-1-5845784)
  • I like BBM when I can afford to go there - they used to have the best value green tea on the block, but their food is pricey (but good).

A year or two ago there was a blistering row on this site with some claiming the BBM cakes were mass produced, pre-baked and then warmed over in some way. Personally I don't know and the patisserie looks excellent. I know nothing about this kind of catering. The IG says: "The cafe, which also has a branch in Hampstead, has all of its products prepared on the day by five chefs, including Dahmane. He honed the art of patisserie in Paris before moving on to Westminster Kingsway College, where he won awards and completed his professional chef diploma."

So what's the truth? Go on, let's start it again.
  • joustjoust N4
    edited March 2019
    So like a fancy subways or dominoes
  • Well I'd rather have a BBM fairy cake than a Subway
  • i used to go to BBM all the time, but they hired a new young woman managing he staff and she was endlessly rude to customers and very bullying to staff - added to that, they suddenly put their drinks prices up a lot by charging extra for non-dairy milk alternatives, and all the factors combined drove me out.
    i bumped into one of their part-time waiters later - she was working at the design museum. she recognised me and asked how i was. we had a chat and she admitted she'd left because of the bullying.
    dahmane seems like a nice chap, but that manageress is intolerable. i've been back once in the last year and their drinks price had gone up a bit again, AND they've shrunk their cups, so reinforced not to go back there again. shame - was very good before it all went wrong.
  • Yes I agree about the manageress. Prim looking young woman with attitude - her approach to staff actually made me feel uncomfortable. And yes, massive price hike. On reflection, on my wont-go-back list, there are better places and for a decent manager and all-round bloke you can't do better than Rob at Front Room.
  • edited March 2019
    I stopped going to BBM for exactly the same reasons as Rikki's and Krappyrubsnif 's (glad it's not just me picking on the issues).
    On top of this I don't like the concept of the open hot kitchen with smell of garlic/vegetables interfering with having a coffee/croissant/breakfast. Much prefer the Front Room. Staff at Blossom (next to ex Vagabond) are also super nice.
  • edited March 2019
    Bullying is inexusable in any situation, but can we not just use Manager?
  • HIgh time someone invented a gender-neutral suffix to describe someone who isn't very good at something.
  • We're SO off-topic here, but it's been so quiet lately, so here goes: @krappyrubsnif , do you mean a suffix added to the noun that describes the occupation that they're not very good at? Managerfail? Managerdud? Managerfu? Managernot? Managerflop? That sort of thing? I did think of managermay and managertrump, but, ironically, they're ambiguous!
  • _Bee_Bee Stroud Green Road
    Adding my 2 pence to the BBM convo - I stopped going because I feel as though they take their time to acknowledge your presence. I understand that it is probably because they want to complete an order before taking a new one, but they could just look at me and tell me they will get to me shortly. Instead, I feel like they are waiting it out to see if I leave, and if I don't then they will deign to take my coffee order.

No thanks. Brick and Olive and Blossom White are much nicer!
  • re Blossom White - yes, lovely staff there.
    @miss annie my bad, thanks - 'manager' yes.