Finsbury Park Station/City North Development

Comments

• Not sure if this is the most up-to-date Finsbury Park station related thread (the 'train geek' one looks a bit niche) but how are people finding the new lifts at the station? Are they reliable/easy to negotiate? Was wondering if a (off-peak) Piccadilly Line trip with suitcases to Heathrow is doable.
  • Yeah they do the job. Don't go to every national rail platform yet but you can get to the southbound underground just fine.
  • They are reliable with plenty of space for suitcases, no problem navigating as it's a 30 second trip. They are busy at popular flight times. Don't forget to tap your Oyster on the reader in the tunnel as you won't be going through gates. Still a way for fare dodgers to use the Tube free.
  • lazyatomlazyatom Fonthill Road
    Does anyone know if the timetable for opening the new entrance is still "Autumn 2019"?
  • When is the new Wells Terrace tube entrance now set to open? Anyone know?
  • I'm also DYING to know when the entrance will open and my life can go back to being free of the depressing bridge... Anyone? @Arkady you sometimes have inside info, right?
  • I've not heard anything since it was pushed back from early this year to late this year. The exit is supposed to he via Goodwin street only st first, and I haven't walked by there in a while, but the exterior of the entrance looks pretty complete.

Some of the balcony finishes look distinctly wonky, as though they don't quite fit properly. The council needs a firm.word to make sure those final finishes aren't neglected.
  • We won't be able to exit via Wells Terrace?
  • The original plan was Goodwin St initally with the Wells Terrace bit afterwards. Not sure whether that's still the plan.
  • edited September 2019
    Speak of the devil:

"We have been advised this week by London Underground that their proposed target opening of the Western Station Entrance for public use is 17th December 19.

The main structures of the buildings are complete.

The external cladding will be largely complete to the development by December 19

The Residential occupation of the development will commence from late 2019 and continue through to summer 2020.

The Retail and Commercial areas are about to commence fitout.

(Marks and Spencer and Cineworld being the two main anchor tenants.)

Negotiations on letting of all other commercial units is at an advanced stage.

The access to the Western Station will be December 19 as above. "

• Finally! Good news. Bon Matin boulangerie is also supposed to open a branch there as well not sure if that means the one on Tollington will be closed. I am surprised that they have been able to sell anything...huge premiums to live in front of trains track!
  • And when, I wonder, is the bus station work to commence? There seemed to be plans for a shiny row of new buildings along where the old ticket hall and police station are.
  • @gardener-joe - is that so? I've seen no such plans but I'm a few weeks behind on the planning application lists.
  • edited September 2019
    I'm going to carry on using Seven Sisters Rd I think. The new entrance will be mobbed with everyone getting off the buses. Two minutes extra walk to know you'll never be held at the gates is worth it.
  • @miss annie that's the magic of the Seven Sisters entrance - not enough pavement space for them to kettle commuters! But on the way home it would be lovely to walk out on the right side of the station again... Roll on December!
    @Arkady I knew you'd get the insider good news! Many thanks for sharing.
  • The seven sisters road entrance is frustrating. there is only one gate entrance in either direction. The bi-directional gate timing switch is very slow. For some reason people stand there and tap their oyster cards/con tactless when it is red rather than wait 5 seconds until it is yellow again.
  • It's never busy enough to bother me when I'm going to, or coming from, work. Many people are idiots, I leave them to the big gate. If they can't work out that red means stop they deserve to be angered and frustrated by the gate.
  • I thought the new entrance was going to be in Fonthill Road, near the corner with Wells Terrace. Will it really be in Goodwin St?
  • TfL and Telford Homes, the developer behind the luxury City North project, say they hope to open the new step-free Goodwin Street and Wells Terrace entrance on December 17.

Big Christmas bonus for someone if that actually completes on time.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    I expect it involves TFL doing its bit and staff there will not receive a bonus but their final salary pension will be paid regardless of delays.
  • The new entrance is in the centre of the development where the extended Goodwin St and the new steeet leading to Wells Terrace opposite Starbucks meet. So when you leave the station you'll be able to bear left down Goodwin towards Fonthill or right towards Stroud Green
  • Out of interest is the residents private garden accessible to those in affordable housing? Looks like not.
  • Thanks, Arkady. It seems we'll have an entrance very close to the old Wells Terrace one.

I doubt the private tenants would brook any riffraff breaking wind in their private garden. I believe the usual way of these things is that all entrances and facilities are segregated along socio-economic lines. That is, for example, the affordable housing tenants will have a separate garden from the private tenants, a garden shared with the public, or no garden at all.

The provision of "affordable housing" is just paying lip-service; anyone who builds as hideous a monstrosity as City North doesn't give a tinker's cuss about the locale or the public good. What an eyesore breaking into the sky as one walks down the southern slope of Finsbury Park! I'd like to see the developers and their architect(s) (assuming they did indeed engage any architects for this aesthetic depravity) horsewhipped along Stroud Green Road, Mondays and Thursdays.
  • I said something similar when the plans went up. It's completely hideous.
  • I actually think it will look good. Bring it on I say!!
  • I've had mixed feelings about it from the very start, especially from an architectural point of view, looks like it will be out of date and dusty in a handful of years. I guess at least it's better than nothing though and should hopefully bring a bit more investment to that side of the tracks
  • That entrance opening news is a real bright spot, will make a huge difference.
  • Like Luke I have mixed views about the architectural merits, though I'm increasingly thinking it might make a successful juxtaposition (not something you often hear me arguing for, an architectural traditionalist) similar to the Brunswick Centre - and I actually think the materials used are of higher quality than the latter. I dislike the way the apartments are being marketed, including the affordable stuff, but that's a reflection of a wider broken marketplace for housing.

What I do *really* like is the lay-out/street-plan, especially how it relates to the new station entrance and creates an extension of the Victorian grid plan. It's just really smart and will have a massive impact.
  • Oh yes 100% on the new entrance - time will see whether or not it keeps its gleam.

I also think it's not necessarily a bad thing that the entrance is in private hands as it's easier to lean on a company to make a change (and keep stuff neat) than the council often (given the bridge situ at finsbo).

I often ponder what would a redevelopment like coaldrops and granary square look like if it wasn't in private hands for example.