Islington North Goes to the Polls! Which Way are You Going to Go

124»

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Jeremy Corbyn is on the Stroud Green Road looking out for his Islington constituents as the Prime Minister jets off from the UK for Christmas with his mistress to the private billionaires Caribbean island of Mustique. BoJo’s Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency just not good enough, probably.

• edited December 2019
    Can't do much in opposition. To help the residents, to help the UK, first get elected.

I would add that Islington North has been Labour since the beginning of time, so questions need to be asked why inequality in his patch is so high.
  • Sorry If my comments have been pissy recently, but for fucks sake why does labour have to be stuffed full of such a miserable shower when we're in dire need of an effective government or opposition. Four of five years more of Corbyn chatting shite about inequality in front of his son's shop when labour could actually be in government by now actually making some changes.
  • "Islington North has been Labour since the beginning of time, so questions need to be asked why inequality in his patch is so high."

Er, that'll be mainly because of massive Tory central government cuts to council funding, the Tory and Centrist Labour policies of social housing sell-off, the massive debts saddled by Centrist Labour PFI deals, and the general austerity caused by a bank bail-out for the richest due to policies introduced and supported by Tory and Centrist Labour governments. All of which were to some degree were tackled by the recent Labour Manifesto. Which bits of it do you think were shite?
  • And yet people still voted Tory en-masse. There have been enough articles, radio programmes and YouTube videos made about why Labour is so out of touch, so I'm not going to go into it again.

My comment is specifically that Corbyn can chat as much as he wants and we can all go on about Tories this, Tories that, but unless you win an election, it's all really useless guff isn't it.
  • grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    The election results speak for themselves......
  • Indeed, the election results speak for themselves. Or do they? My interpretation is that it's the electorate that is, on the whole, pig-ignorant "shite". I'm sure there are other interpretations.
  • My interpretation is that if supposedly intelligent metropolitans continue denigrating those outside the M25, we'll have more serious problems than Brexit to have to deal with.
  • ugggghhhhh. It's Christmas, can we discuss class war after the 28th? Or maybe something less contentious? Look at the sky, isn't it wonderful.

Deck the halls and Merry Christmas.
    The great thing about Metropolitan London labour is its completely out of touch and incredibly arrogant. So luckily we don't have them running the country as they are too deluded to understand why nobody would vote for them. Fortunately the attitude that those with other opinions are pig ignorant shite is political suicide (and totally offensive) and people outside the M25 can see through that.

Happy Xmas by the way.
  • Ooh yes! It's Christmas!

What a load of ol' wank! Some of us don't give a tinker's cuss about Christmas and try to carry on as normal. (Who imagines the Conservatives are shafting the country any less brutally now, because "it's Christmas"?)

Anyone for a broken bottle fight?
    When I've had a few I'd be up for that.
  • It’s not too late to get off the naughty list...
  • I love all of you very dearly.
  • @LukeG
    "There have been enough articles, radio programmes and YouTube videos made about why Labour is so out of touch, so I'm not going to go into it again."

You've inadvertently hit the nail on the proverbial. You should take a look at Loughborough University's academic research on media coverage of Labour v Conservatives - it's eye-opening. Ever since Corbyn was elected leader there has been an empirically-measureable torrent of negative media which is biased, inaccurate, damaging, and anti-democratic. It has come from every quarter - you'd expect it of course from the Telegraph, Express or Mail, but the onslaught has also come at extraordinary levels from The Guardian and the BBC.

@Scruffy
    You may enjoy this -
  • I'm talking about post-failure, as there has been enough analysis at why he's a flop.

The coverage has been bad because he is useless. And anyway there's tons of empirical evidence that the readership of papers is collapsing and that people read media that they already agree with - people make their choice based on lived experience and worldview.

Which media made you want to vote for Corbyn?
  • cmocmo
    edited December 2019
    I voted labour because of my lived experience and worldview...
  • Which I suppose is the point. However, if it infuriates you to this degree, I’d suggest doing something about it. Any labour member can nominate themselves for council for example, or.. you could give away free presents on Stroud green road to the less fortunate with your dad. There are myriad ways to make a difference for the good, or more specifically myriad ways of making the world a better place that are better than ranting on a hyper local message board. Who knows?
  • @LukeG I've already addressed the false point about collapsing sales. It doesn't matter if the sales are down to one, because of their internet presence and their wall-to-wall coverage every evening on television, for the most part by right-wing commentators.

I don't think you actually read my posts anyway before ranting on - I've already said I didn't vote for Corbyn because I'm an anarchist. My comments are purely about challenging the distorted false impressions of who he is and what he stands for that was purveyed by all arms of the establishment through every type of media for two years. It worked a treat, and you're a magnificent case in point. You have no actual facts and no clear arguments, just hatred for Corbyn.
  • Wowee, I do both lol, It's fun having a discussion here and also actually doing rl stuff. If I really have to, I 'll tell you I'm already doing both charity and political work, but that's not really the discussion here.
  • @LukeG you've run for labour councillor and given away presents with your dad? Great work.

I do a lot of charity but I don't like to talk about it..

• @Rikki A masterpiece! Irving Berlin couldn't have put it better himself (and never did). Thanks for posting (though it shames me to think how hearing Eric Idle say f**k so many times makes me laugh so much).