Stroud green road closure under railway bridge

2»

Comments

• Hanley Road is closed at the junction with SGR. Lots of drivers ignoring it and going through anyway. If Islington had an enforcement officer there they'd make a mint.
  • Yeh - I've been told that all traffic enforcement and 'environmental improvement' i.e. trees, are areas run by councils, with the assistance of your local councillors. So I guess it's up to them to get the transpo police posted there when there's a closure.
  • I had noticed people's decision to widely flout the Hanley Road closure in one direction.

It is needlessly closed, however, as it's wide enough to get two lanes of traffic through there.

I think it's the water board. They should sort it and just let both directions through, as it's encouraging some insane driving and manoeuvres (and shoving cars onto other roads).
  • Tonights action at the station which unfolded just as I was about to walk past:

A huge fight with a crowd of 15 youths watching and some cheering on - in the location where youths regularly congregate to smoke skunk.
    One knocked unconscious, left in an ambulance.

Lots of BTP on the scene. Think this might be enough for them to take notice of what usually happens there?
  • I think it is high time the communities of Finsbury Park and Stroud Green, both Islington and Haringey sides, pressed for a public meeting with local police commanders, BTP, councillors etc, on levels of crime, drugs and violence at Finsbury Park Station. Perhaps local MPs West and Corbyn could help facilitate? Does anybody know how to proceed?

Street violence, open drugs, park muggings, stabbings - acceptable face of this area, residential but one of London's busiest stations?
  • If anyone has an idea about this - would be keen to get involved.
  • I agree with pushing for a public meeting to focus on the area around the station, feels like things have gone downhill a lot in the last year.

Afraid I'm not sure how to get this started, is going via the MPs the best first step? Chief Supt Raj Kohli has overall responsibilty for the area I think - he's pretty active on Twitter so might be worth approaching.
  • You can definitely email Catherine West - (write to them website is pretty good) as well as the councillors. If enough of us do that. I think catching the ear of a Police when they are around is a good shout too as they thrive off first hand information they can take to their meetings.

I'd also recommend the 101 line if you see anything dodge/aggressiveness/illegal etc. they all go on file and can get elevated if they see a flood.

It's literally why areas with high home ownership / more elderly people are policed better, just much more time and stake involved in making reports into the politicians and police.