Local 'Herstory'

It is quite strange to think of myself as an 'historical figure', but one of the great wrongs of history is that for too long, the lives of ordinary people were not deemed worthy of recording. I want to record my memories of growing up in Stroud Green in the 1960s to 80s, to support the research of future historians.

I was born in August 1962 in Hanley Road Maternity Hospital, Tollington Park Road, N4. My Dad was a Clerk for the North Thames Gas Board, based in Stoke Newington High Street. Prior to her marriage which too place at St Mellitus catholic Church in August 1961, my mum had worked at the Courtney pope electrical factory in Stamford Hill. her local claim to fame was that she used the same launderette as Mike and Bernie Winters and that she once dated Micky Most, but dumped him after one date, because he was so mean, he expected her to make one orange juice last for a whole evening at a dancehall!

I grew up in 26 Beatrice Road, and rode my chopper bike, around the surrounding streets - Dagmar Road, Oakfield Road, Lancaster Road. I attended St Peter in Chains Primary School in Elm grove, N8, until it merged with St Gildas Convent, in the late 1960s. I still remember one day when the fire alarm went off, the dinner lady would not let me leave the dining room, until I finished my school dinner, even as the room filled with smoke. It was not until a frantic Nun, flew into the room and shouted at the dinner lady that it was a 'real fire', that she let me escape - even then, she made me take my tapioca pudding with me. unfortunately, I 'dropped' it as I fled!

Sadly, my Dad was killed in a road traffic accident in 1966.

Next chapter to follow....

Comments