Pub in the park proposal

Now that Wireless is off, there's a proposal to open a 'beer garden' for the summer instead (June-September) in the middle of Finsbury Park. With some (supposedly local) song and dance acts. I personally don't have too much of a problem with this providing it (a) wouldn't close off half the park with a twelve foot wall, and (b) was really well managed from a crowd, noise, littering and ASB point of view - it depends on the scale of the thing. Something small and not too anti social would be in line with the ideas of using the park for smaller scale, localised events, and still raise some money. But Friends of Finsbury Park have already objected. What's wrong with a bit of fun in the sun?

Comments

• grennersgrenners Ferme Park Road, N4
    Nothing. Especially if they do one of those ourdoor German style beer gardens and serve some decent sausages.
  • Presumably it'll use thousands of those horrible disposable plastic cups, doubtless justified for "safety" reasons.
  • Don't think they'll be revisiting Oktoberfest in Finsbury PK any time soon @grenners - was a disaster last time with fights breaking out.
  • Any idea who is running it?. Could it be the biggest Weatherspoons ever !
  • I’ll give it a miss. Probably because I don’t drink!
  • Indeed, why not a bit of fun? The (admittedly well-fed) misanthrope in me foresees belligerent drunks staggering about the Park, getting into fights, and using it as a toilet; hardly a net improvement. Still, I could be wrong, but as a city, we do seem to have become a tad more openly sociopathic in recent decades.
    Well I was thinking more pleasant but yes maybe that's not Finsbury Park and it will become like an October fest. I was thinking of the sort of thing which happens in Europe with nice parasols and families enjoying a spot of beer and food. A nice Stein made of real glass and some Bavarian food.
  • edited April 2021
    Ah yes, and ladies in summer hetts and whaite lace gloves with a laugh that sounds like a teaspoon tinkling against a sherreh glass. But Finsbury Park ain’t no Henley-on-Thames. The Britanno-Hibernian culture of (mostly) men going to pubs and drinking against the clock is rather at odds with the way families (as families) drink and dine in countries such as France and Italy.
    I was thinking of the things you get in Easter europe in parks where tables are located around the fountain and the waiter wears a clean apron and white shirt. Table service. And real glass glasses.