Hands off our park

A petition has been launched to challenge the fencing off of half the park for July:
https://www.change.org/p/hands-off-our-park
Tagged:

Comments

• It will be up till the end of August. Its fucking outragious. And they wont say how much they make, how do we know its not going straight in to someones pocked.
  • How do you know it is going someones pocket ?
  • If memory serves me correctly, the council get approx 250k leaving 4.75 million for the organisers.

It is outrageous - whether you feel it shouldn't happen or the opposite - the relative pittance haringey Council have negotiated for this borough is bizarre. If you look at the figures, paranoia does kick in somewhat to why these events are happening.

In reality, the entire layout of the park needs rethinking - digging up the road that runs through it, the 200 trees ripped out, replanted. I'd take years of festivals, more than we have if the roadmap was to eventually turn Finsbury Park in to a properly green space that works for a large population of inner city London and eventually had no need to ruin the park for four weeks out of a 12 week summer.

As it is, with its current layout, council mismanagement, crime and issues with drainage throughout the winter - it's at best the worst major park in London and at worst, not fit for purpose.
  • Hats off to Lawrence Singha (who in the past I've teased with the notion of him being a fictitious character) for starting the petition. The figures cited suggest corruption to me: Council members getting backhanders to agree to such a feeble deal.
  • I’m answer to those people who claim there is no other suitable places the Park Friends did some research and found a number of purpose built venues (the promoters might have to pay a market price of course)
  • Not been hearing the Festival at the top end of SG Road although we so seem have the noisy Police Helicopter around. The festival in on BBC live at 9 pm BBC. 3

• Chaos this afternoon, with all roads closed and hundreds of police seemingly intent on provocation.
    Police I spoke to were blaming promoters.
  • edited July 2022
    Did anyone get a letter before the weekend warning them about the festival? Nothing received on Scarborough Road, they seemed to miss us off this year…
  • The festival goers were ripped off with such high ticket prices on top of the damage to Park/ecology, streets tube unusable, noise, crime the list goes on. The council needs to be sent a strong message: https://www.change.org/p/hands-off-our-park
  • This is a 150 year-old park, unlikely to have been intended for 40,000-50,000 visitors in a single day. So why is anyone surprised if they have difficulty getting in and out?

The fact that nearby streets are totally overwhelmed just shows what an unsuitable choice of location it is.

But it's dirt cheap for the promoters, and I'm sure the police crowd control comes free of charge, so they don't need to care.