Negativity

edited November 2008 in General chat
[Cool Cash](http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1022757_cool_cash_card_confusion) It's the righteousness that really makes it - _"they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it."_

Comments

• edited 2:03AM
    It's terrifying to think that there are people **too stupid for scratchcards** and too ignorant to realise it's their problem, not Camelots...
  • The salon I used to go to offers a 10% student discount. Every time I went up to pay, the woman had to use a calculator and the most roundabout formula imaginable to figure out what's 10% of £30.
    the complaint line for this scratchcard should connect directly to a euthanasia hotline
    _"Press -1 to live, 1 to die"_
    Oh no, I'm going to be outed, but just cannot resist out-geeking Peter Hall, of the Association of Teachers of Mathematics by pointing out that you if you want to decide which number is _smaller_ you _do_ ignore the minus sign.

Sigh I feel twenty years old again.
  • edited November 2008
    To be clear Duncan, the debate wasn't which was the smallest but which was the lower temperature: _"On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't"_ Even THE WOMAN IN THE SHOP got it wrong.
    <i>...if you want to decide which number is _smaller_ you _do_ ignore the minus sign.</i>

I'm struggling to see where the stress is in that sentence. Are you a maths teacher, Duncan?
    David, yes. Poxy, close but no cigar.

I just found it amusing that the maths teacher got muddled and said smaller when he shouldn't have.
    *I just found it amusing that the maths teacher got muddled and said smaller when he shouldn't have.* I've been puzzling about this for nearly three days, because it is a pretty simple error, especially for someone whose job it is to clarify this sort of thing. Then I realised. Whilst it might have been **said** by a maths teacher, it was **written down** by a reporter from a local newspaper. His name probably isn't even Peter Hall.