New Development Stroud Green Road

Comments

• edited 1:36AM
    Hard to get the smug tone on a forum.
  • IanIan
    edited 1:36AM
    Yes yes yes but what is going to be in the retail bit? Where on the Wig Shop to Waitrose continuum do we think it is going to be?
    A planning application was put in to get permission to convert the multiple retail units into one big one, and I think a supermarket was mooted. I'll have a dig around for the planning application later.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2011
    There was that planning application for a Sainsbury's Local there, but I haven't kept track of it. Edit - the application was withdrawn, number P102015
    I suppose I'm just always astounded at what people, presumably first time buyers in this case (if there are any?), are prepared to spend vast amounts of money on. @andy, I feel that way when faced with 70p Mars bars, where once I balked at the 45p ones. How little I knew. @arkady, interesting. Hope it's not going to be a supermarket, but with the John Jones development it would make sense. @Ian, I'm hoping for a Stroud Green heritage parade: the return of Cizgi, Chrysos, Home, Dudley's...
  • edited April 2011
    We need more of both. I'm definitely in favour of either option. ...Wigs and supermarkets, that is...
    Sainsbury's, according to ActionVerb above. There's a bit of a discussion about it from the autumn.
    OK, planning ref P102015 – permission to remove clause on non-amalgamation of commercial units. ‘Withdrawn by Authority’ on 19 January. Three units it is. A further application (P032682(MA02)) appears to amend the details of the rear of the development in response to the John Jones application.
    There's got a to be a gag in there somewhere about finding wig hair in your Sainsbury's sandwich.
  • RoyRoy
    There's a planning notice just appeared on the lamppost saying they want to remove the condition that requires them to build one wheelchair-accessible flat.
    @andy, @emine, I feel the same about Freddo's - 17p now can you believe! They were 5 english pence in olden days. I'm astonished at what people spend their money on too. I'd rather chuck my money down the black hole of renting than live in one of those horrible new build flats with the paper thin walls and brightly coloured balconies that seem to be springing up everywhere. I don't really understand the compulsion to own property, nowhere else in the world seems to be as utterly obsessed by it as the British are. Unless it's a nice place that you intend to live in for ever why bother?
    @sincers 2001/2002 @emine, I can't really accept that a can of coke in a newsagent now more or less costs a pound. Breaking through this will be an important threshold, like the Euro:£ going 1:1.
    A pound? Good lord! Think I might buy a Soda Stream.
  • AliAli
    Coalition tax increases VAT
    Sainsbury's are still interested in occupying the retail space and there is still an application in (P110365) to join the three units. The main planning issue seems to be regarding deliveries as highlighted by this report - <https://www.islington.gov.uk/onlineplanning/docserver/applications/2011/03Mar/P110635/Proposed Loading Bay Final.pdf&gt;
  • AliAli
    Doesn't seem to have bothered them up the road whne they deliver lost of trafic jams at the lights
    Fucktards at Islington have applied for a judicial review.
    @Arkady, do you mean this one or the John Jones one?
    John Jones, sorry.
    @Arkady - how does a judicial review work in this context? and on what ground are they progressing with it? - the student accomodation? this is so frustrating - such a massive oppertunity to improve the local area (aside from supporting a key local employer). public sector regeneration is effectively dead now there's no money left. so if the public sector isnt going to support the private sector in bringing forward development and regeneration, what hope is there? is this there any way residents can voice thier opinion once more on this? bet the people making the decisions at on this at the council dont live locally.
  • IanIan
    What a hopeless decision. What on earth are Islington council doing that for? Grrr planning people.
    @ Thomas - I don't know. Maybe Kate can fill us in. I'm hoping that there's something we can do to show our support.
    'Fucktards at Islington'

Genius, Arkady. From now on that is how they shall be known.
    What we need is a good old fashioned town hall meeting to thrash it out. I know we don't have a town hall, but we could hold it at Camp Stroud Green instead.
    We can call it 'thrash the fucktards'.
    I'm with Islington on the sainsbury's application. There is absolutely no way two double deck buses could pass an artic on that section of road. I have doubts about the accuracy of that plot - convenient that they show shorter single decker buses and a fixed length truck not an artic.

As for how an artic would actually get to the store, have they forgotten about SGR bridges ...?
    @sg_mike - the lorries would drive down from hertfordshire hence no worries about bridges
    Are they objecting to the overall plan or just the Sainsbury's application?
    @Arkady - A judicial review would be based on procedural matters, so the Council may take the view that some elements were not considered appropriately or sufficiently by the Inspector. As far as I understand, this would be a petition by the Council to the High Courts, which the Courts can reject if they do not feel there is sufficient grounds for a review. This would require QC opinion, so there's some cost. If there is a case for a review, not sure how public it gets, pretty sure there's no opportunity for public support. It's not really that kind of arena - it's very much procedure based. In retrospect this should have probably gone on the John Jones thread. @sg_mike - a fixed length truck is less mobile than the artic they'd use, so it makes sense. With the route, I presume they go through the SGR bridges to service the ex-Woody's Local?