It's not all bad news for restaurants in SG

IanIan
edited February 2009 in Local discussion
Noticed work going on in Mela today and so went to speak to the workmen. They told me they were knocking through to nextdoor - i.e. Petek.

This will double its size. Spoke to the man in Petek who showed me the line on the wall where it was all going to be bashed. Kitchen being knocked through as well to make that big enough to cope.

I'm really pleased. It could do with more space. Hopefully they got a good deal on the lease as it has been vacant so long.

Comments

• edited 6:11AM
    That's great news. I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I love Petek.
    that's great! i hope it works out for them.

the only bad thing i can say about them is that their portions are a bit too big.
  • they are good people. gave us free baklava last night.
    I knew it! Marvellous. Just been for a takeout veg fiesta. Wasn't allowed to leave until I'd had a large glass of merlot (on the house). Tremendous.

Oh no - does that mean David and I see eye to eye on something?
    yea, their food is best done takeaway... first time i had the veg kebab (admittedly following lots of meze starters) i could only eat about 1/4 of it and had to have the rest to go. it still took me 2 attempts the next day to polish it all off! and i love how the menu says that the veg kebab contains "rockets"!
  • edited February 2009
    For some reason the idea of us agreeing makes me think of what happens if you cross the streams:

<object width="430" height="295"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="430" height="295"></embed></object>
    great!
    I like Petek, but given how popular the veggie things are, I think they could do a few more of them - broad beans/ aubergine and yoghurt / spinach andyoghurt etc
    Not being a veggie I'm addicted to the Iskander.
  • There used to be a lentil soup on 8 quid somehting set menu made with lamb stock, it was incredible.

I tried to make the same thing at home but wasn't great, the lentils don't cook right if you add the stock at the beginning.. obv theres more to it than just boiling it all up and I suppose they're using real lamb stock rather than shop bought stuff.

Its not on the menu now though but I think he rotates the dishes so it should come round again.
    There's a new curry place opening up on Crouch Hill, on the small row of shops just up on the left past the overground station.
    I have walked past Petek so many times, thinking every time 'really should go in there at some point', but just looking at these reviews (and that EVERYONE agrees...) think I may have to make that trip sooner rather than later.

By the way, what do people think of The Hummingbird? Even though I've never eaten in, it's a bit of a fave with the boy and I, for their jerk chicken takeaway meal deal- lots of yummy-ness that I'm still ploughing through the next day for just over a fiver!
    When you do go to Petek charis, don't have a starter, and ease off the bread. If you're tempted at all by the starters then just have the starters. The uninformed will experience a feeling of dread as they finish their starters and realise they have main courses yet to come.
    Petek is great. Hummingbird's takeaway has always been good, but the last time we ate there the waitress from hell was more interested in her text messages, the chunky young men at another table, her nails.... rather than her job. It's put us off the place.
    +1 for Petek - we ate there just after viewing the flat we now live in on Stapleton Hall Road. It made a great case for us moving to the SG area. Never had takeaway from there... now that's a good idea.