N4 PUB

Comments

• edited 2:01AM
    Can we merge threads?
    Hello,

I see the thread isn't really a discussion about the N4 anymore, but since I just visited for the first time since the refurb I would add my thoughts.

Essentially it looks much nicer inside but they still have the TV's blaring loudly and they have massively increased the drinks prices. A vodka & diet coke and a small glass of house red was £7, which is more than at The Noble and The Fullback. I wanted it to be great, but I was sadly disappointed and we moved on after one drink.

Recently i've visited the N19 a few times and found it to be a lovely pub. Very reasonable drinks, nice food, friendly staff and a decent smoking area (come summer at least!).

That's it really. Bye!
  • Byeee! Be good.
    The N4 pub has a brand new 'for sale' sign on it today.
  • AliAli
    edited 2:01AM
    Did the Nobel ever change hands ? and has anyone got any idea what is happening at the old Larrick, last time I was in there it was kind of half decorated the beer fonts were covered in tape to stop drips of paint, it was dusty and the worse crime was it didn’t have any proper beer !
  • edited September 2010
    Was in the Larrik a couple of weeks ago, seemed to be a bit busier, plenty of bar staff. Seemed quite expensive though, was £4.60 I think for a pint of Peroni. Is that normal prices? Probably, I never usually buy it. First Arsenal game of the season iirc, so I soon left.

The main door was being rebuild, masonry exposed etc.

Not sure if they still do food, as the bar manager/owner(?) (big bloke) from the Larrik was later seen in the Nobel having his dinner...
    @Ali - last time I was in the Nobel (3-4 weeks ago) they said that they were changing hands in about a month (and emphasising how nothing was going to change).

I reckon Neil Morrissey's bought it to add to his property empire, personally.
  • Well I was in the Larrick/Stapleton last night - getting there with the decor. Music has certainly improved.

Think the Kitchens opening soon but they're not currently serving.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Went in the Larrick/Stapleton on BH Monday and it wasn't bad. It's obviously not finished, and there was a bit of a limited beer choice, but it certainly felt better than previous visits. We noticed the improved music too.
    According to the guy behind the bar in the "Stapleton" as we now have to start calling it, they are refitting the kitchen and won't be doing food for a couple of weeks yet. I think it all looks quite promising
    You forgot the N19! Lovely outside area, lots of ales if that's your thing, excellent food, nice landlord.

I don't work for them.
    I would wholeheartedly endorse Emma's post except that I don't want everyone going there and making it all crowded.
  • I've been to the Shaftesbury recently and was really impressed - it's such a beautiful old pub and they had a couple of nice beers. Always dead quiet though - I hope it picks up for them.
  • AliAli
    Whilst waiting for my carry out curry in Exotica of India on Saturday night I overheard conversation about the N4 pub having Vietnamese cooking ! Any one tried it ? I was also a bit surprised to find a copy of the Morning Star to read while waiting. Also again there was no Real beer in the Stapleton on Saturday so had to go and pay £3.40 for a pint of Directors in the Dairy. I did think that the Stapleton is getting there deco wise
    I see All Bar One in Crouch End has closed down.
    Where is the Oakdale Arms and the Beaconsfield?
    The Beaconsfield is on Green Lanes opposite Homebase.
    Something about the high ceilings and decor in the Star mean it always feels a bit desolate to me. Fine if there's a big group of you, but for a small group it tends to lend a melancholy edge to proceedings.
  • I can confirm that the N4 is doing Vietnamese food, and looks to be up for sale.

We're moving to N8 soon....although I think the Stapleton will be our closest pub not called the Nicholas Nickleby. But as long as they get some ales in and some grub, could all work out.
    I'm a big fan of the Star on Chester Road. Good beer, nice staff, friendly to dogs and the food's been good too. Also, they have the odd little gig there.
    I had a look at the new Stapleton last night, peered through the window and it looks rather pretty inside.

Mismatched vintage style glass lampshades above the bar and velvet drapes to separate the drinking area (which always seemed a bit too big and soulless to me). The lighting was nice and subdued and looked a lot more inviting than it ever was before.
    I took my football team on a SG pub crawl a couple of years ago. Starting off with pints of Greene King for 99p at the White Lion guaranteed the rest of the evening was going to go well. Didn't like the Kings Head in CE that much, they're not very friendly when you ask for 25 tequilas just before closing time.
  • edited September 2010
    N4 is up for sale, as the bank have snatched it back and are now selling. Vietnamese food is not being sold any-moor as some kind of row with the owner i have been told and the chef has packed up , planing has gone though so they might even build 2 flats there now but i cant see it as the asking price is 450grand
    No-one has been able to make that place work.
    It's in a weird position; the locals want a local, but the weekend Fonthill Road shoppers are much more a cafe or maybe bar crowd. I don't think it can survive exclusively on either group, especially not with the hit all pubs have taken these past few years, but nor is there any real way to reconcile the two.
  • AliAli
    North 1 might help it, could be the time to buy, Greasy Spoon by day to serve the builders pop up resturant bar in the evening, migrate to a bit more posh once it is built with the Hotel in the developmnet and loads of flats. It also looks like the Britsh Resturant in SGR is nearly ready to open