theatre schmeatre

I'm trying to come up with a less disgustingly middle class way of saying this, but it's not happening. So here goes...

I go to the theatre a couple times a week. Sometimes I can't find anyone to go with, so I go on my own. I don't really mind going on my own, except that the tickets are often free, and it seems wasteful not to share them with another person.

There must be lots of kids out there who may be interested in theatre, but don't get the chance to go. There's a government scheme that gives free tickets to people under 26, but it's badly targeted. The people I know who've used it are all theatre geeks, who would be going anyway, except that now they go for free.

I thought about finding a kid who has never been to the theatre, but who might be interested. I would be happy to take him or her a couple times a month.

The thing is, I have no idea where to start.

I've checked on the volunteering websites. There are several mentoring programmes, but I don't think I can commit 2-4 hours a week for 2 years. Also, I'm hardly the best role model. But I do know theatre.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I totally off base here? It may just be middle class guilt (I saw Wallace Shawn's Fever tonight).

Comments

• edited 12:44AM
    _"There must be lots of kids out there who may be interested in theatre."_ This assumption might be where you're going wrong.
  • edited April 2009
    I don't think I am. I think a lot of people would enjoy it. It's just that they never get a chance to find out.

It's like when you watch the Olympics and you see some obscure sport and wonder, how does anyone know if they'd be good at that? When do you get a chance to try bobsledding or ski jumping?

A few months ago, I went to see some play at the Donmar. It must have been on the curriculum because there were loads of kids there. They all had worksheets in front of them that they had to fill in DURING the show. The teacher that gave the assignment should shot.

That's not how you watch a play. How can you possibly enjoy it? It's no wonder that so many people think of theatre either as a posh night out, or something educational.

It's entertainment. And once it's been demystified, there's no reason why a kid wouldn't enjoy it.
    You may be right, I just think the majority of kids don't really give a crap about it. Ones that do are the exception. Why else does the industry need propping up with grants and giving free tickets away? Not enough new blood coming in. Your common garden Zak Efron movie will always trump the theatre for most kids given the choice. Heck, sadly even most adults these days. I'm not saying its right but its true.
    Hello rainbow_carnage. You are completely right - loads of kids and young adults would love to have the chance to go to the theatre but they don't have the opportunity. Theatre going is prohibitively expensive for most people. If you have more than one child, it is much easier and much more economical to go down the road to the cinema than to get tickets and travel into the West End to the theatre.

I volunteer with Friends United Network which is based in North London (Islington/Camden). I know you are not keen on committing yourself to being a mentor in this way but really give it some thought. It is the most rewarding thing I've ever done with my free time, and the time has flown by (I've been doing it since 2006).
    I suggest you contact either Ashley Grey or Harvey Griffiths at Islington Arts & Media School (020 7281 5511, once school's back in session after Easter break), as they may have some ideas or suggestions.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Emma, I really don't think I can commit for that long. I'm not even sure we'll be in the country in two years' time.

I'll look into the Islington Arts & Media School, though, I suspect, those kids already a lot more opportunities than others.

I spoke to a friend about this, and she suggested that we start some sort of organisation. If I approach a school as an individual, it's a little suspicious. If it's an organisation (however loosely structured), it looks more official.

Does anyone know if we'll need police checks, or something like that? We're not looking to work with small children (we're not babysitters). I was thinking 13-18. At that age, they can get on the tube on their own.
    You would definitely need a CRB check, which could take a few months.
  • RegReg
    edited 12:44AM
    You will need a CRB check. Try www.crbcheck.info Pretty painless and the site has a lot of information
    actually scottish disclosure is faster than the english CRB and just as acceptable as a proof of your criminal record. Turnaround is less than 2 weeks rather than months.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/