Limetta

. . . . . . is back!!

Comments

• edited 6:19PM
    Brilliant! This is exactly why I love SG.org.
    Pappagone's icecream counter? Oh noooo, now the sun's shining its hard to resist.
    We were there on Friday, I had to leave without Limetta - not best pleased. On the plus side, the food was great - new(?) aubergine pizza, and we got some free drinks to celebrate 10 years of me going there (almost). Any excuse, eh?
    I managed to cram in an enormous Limetta after 3 courses in Pappagone tonight. Did you know that all that lovely gelato is hand made by one person - Ariela? Stroud Greeners are so lucky!
  • edited May 2009
    Catastrophe!

Walking down SGR yesterday we couldn't resist a chocolate/hazelnut double cone from Ariela. While waiting for our ice cream we noticed and read the sign in the window.... il Gelato di Ariela is closing!

Apparently, Pappagone's has been sold and the new owners don't want the gelati bar. It's madness.

The good news is that Ariela is going to remain in business but no new location has yet been decided upon. It may not be on SGR.

I'm staggered by this news. Who in their right mind would buy Pappagone's and NOT want the ice cream bar?
    Goodness me.
  • edited May 2009
    Pappagone... sold? I think it might be time for me to move out of London! I'll have to find out more.
    Maybe she could get a nice icecream van and park on SGR?
    hey everyone...I was told about this site by someone mentioning a Limetta discussion online to me at the Gelateria...and now a few days after the announcement that we are moving I find you guys talking about it!!! Marvellous!!
    As I am here I would like to clarify a few things so that all of you know whats going on and can let everyone else know...basically I (Ariela) have been told the other day, out of the blue, right at the beginning of my season,that the restaurant was sold and that because I have a contract with Pappagone and noone else and the contract says I should get a month notice then that's all i get...I have said that I have built a loyal client base from the window I "idealized" in the past 3 years and that this must have some value...but no...Pappagone would be just as great with or without my Gelato there so I do not deserve any compensation even though they have got millions from the sale!!!
    But this isn't the end of it...apparently the new owners are not even taking over until December but funnily enough the only person they want out asap is me because...wait for it....they are gonna make their own ice cream!! So you would think if this thing is so worthless how come the new owners are in the rush of putting their own product on MY WINDOW??
    This is the gist of it but if you wanna know more just ask and I will be more than happy to tell all the home truths about that place.
    In any case if you have been a loyal customer and are a fan of my Gelato be very wary of who is selling and what product is being sold through that window...after mid June I do not want to be associated with any product they sell!!
    check our website for further announcements or send me an email through the website so that i can put you on the mailing list and update you!!
    Thanks for being such loyal customers
    Lots of love
    Ariela
    That sucks but that's business for you.

Ariela's website...

<a href="http://www.ilgelatodiariela.co.uk/" target="qwerty">http://www.ilgelatodiariela.co.uk/</a>;
    Hi Ariela Sorry to hear that you're being moved on - you've got a load of fans on this site. Surely you can get another store on the street? There are a bunch of properties on the street that are available....? A proper sit-down gelateria (like Marine Ices) would be fantastic.
    I don't like this at all. Not one tiny bit. Can't we picket Pappagone or something? SG.Org boycott? Come on people, I'm French and I'm angry... And without my weekly limetta I will be positively seething.
    *I'm French and I'm angry* Only one thing for it! La grève! So what can we do? What does Ariela want us to do?
    Fantastic. I can see it now...

Andy Martin playing Peter Richardson playing Al Pacino playing Arthur Scargill in <del>The Comic Strip</del> StroudGreen.Org Presents… The Strike.

You've certainly got the hair for it.
    Hi Ariela, I'm really sorry about this, for you and for purely selfish reasons - I am addicted to your gelato. Why don't you move to Porchetta? Usually I'm on the Pappagone's side of the P v P debate, but I'd follow you to Porchetta.
    hey everyone!!! this is so funny...i can get right into this discussions thing...anyway not much one can do...i will seek legal advice but doubt i'll get anywhere...best thing is for me to manage to move everything very very close by....
    in any case I appreciate your concerns...makes me feel a little better...but I will do my best to hinder their plan!!
    and Poxy...it might be business but is also daylight robbery...makes you understand why people get cynical and angry...what's the point of beng honest and acting always in good faith when all you get is xxxxx up your bum...should be a criminal and walk over people like others do...they go a long way
  • AliAli
    edited 6:19PM
    Dudleys ?
  • LizLiz
    edited 6:19PM
    This is terrible news - for you and for all your very happy customers. This might sound really cheesy, but don't waste your energy getting angry with the old or new owners - you make a great product so I'm really sure you'll do well, on your own or with another restaurant. They'd be lucky to have you. Keep us posted!
    @Colette I am right behind you with my angry posse of Limettistas.

@Ariela PLEASE see if you can re-establish your operation nearby. It's been great having you here.
    @Colette I have been reading that the French way of industrial action is to kidnap the boss. Shall we kidnap Marco?
    which one?
    The bald one. Oh, they're both bald aren't they? OK, both of them, and release fee is Quattro Stagione with extra truffles. (And Limetta of course).
    No, neither of them is bald.
    Ah. That must be why I get no reponse when I shout 'Marco' at the bald guys. They all wear the same shirts. It's confusing.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm going to go in to Pappagone tonight and ask about this. I'm happy to sign my name on a petition that I'll be loyal to Ariela's Gelato only, and no other! Who's with me?
    But would you be prepared to forego Pappagone's completely?

We need to establish on which common ground the bandwagon is located before jumping on.
    I have a terrible confession to make.

I never bought an ice cream from that window.

Should I do it right away then?
  • LizLiz
    edited May 2009
    @krappyrubsnif - absolutely, though I think we'll need to start another thread to give you advice on flavours...
    poxy, if the owners change then i'd have to see what the new Pappagone quality was like before I made the decision to forego completely. So i'd not rule out full abstention just yet.