Chair

RegReg
edited April 2009 in Local discussion
Help sought. I am looking for (and have been for a while) a chair for my spare room. I have got a small desk and at the moment sit at it on an old bentwood dining chair that turns my bum numb after a very short time. I regularly put my head in to the various furniture places in the area (favourite being Aladdin's Cave, Hazellville Road, for sheer volume) and keep an eye on Gumtree as much as possible. No luck so far and I am sure I am missing some gems. Inspired by Andy's success at sourcing the Independent, I thought I would see if the 'community' might be kind enough to keep an eye out and let me know if you spot anything. In terms of style think character/shabby (cos the rest of my stuff is, more by abuse than design). In an ideal world it would be a wooden chair with arms and a leather seat. Thanks. N4 mug for the winner?

Comments

• edited 2:33PM
    Reg - have a rummage around the place on Highbury Corner that used to be a Ford dealer. They've got a bunch of stuff, in various states of repair. You can/should haggle. They put stuff on ebay, but have cheaper stuff in the shop. <http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/thefurnituregarage>;
    Yes it is probably worth a look but only in the upstairs big, I found the ground floor very uninspiring.
  • edited April 2009
    I'm a big advocate of HAG chairs, and I went on about them in [another thread](http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/847/bad-back/). They are neither wooden, nor leather, but are probably more comfortable and definitely better for your posture, body strength and well-being. Long story short: there's a guy selling a batch on eBay. Retail is £350 and he wants £85 delivered. I've just bought one from him (now I have two in the office, one at home) as have several friends. Here's the link: [http://bit.ly/hag-h04](http://bit.ly/hag-h04)
  • It's worth checking out freecycle to see if anyone happens to be giving away just what you are looking for....
    That's it, I've just bought one.
    You won't regret it! If you need arms, let me know as I'm buying a set for my new chair.
  • RegReg
    edited 2:33PM
    Thanks for the tip about Highbury Corner. Have been past it a couple of times and keep meaning to pop in. It will give me another opportunity to have a wander around Canonbury Square. One of the few places I would move to from (currently) sunny N4... Will look in to the Hag chairs, thanks.
  • RegReg
    @benny I don't seem to be quick enough for Freecycle. The whole e-mailing to see if the item is available is so tedious as I get excited and suffer an enoromous disappointment.
    I've just bought the damned chair, too. I had to justify it as an investment in my back. My posture is terrible. I'm going to have unaesthetic tie me to the chair with luggage straps so I don't slouch forward.
    Cool. Chair arrived. It is very comfy. I am sat on it now.
    Our chair came, too. Hurt my back trying to carry the box up the stairs. Oh, the irony.

It looks pretty cool. Gonna have to look through the guide.
    A mate of mine has just won a slightly older model HAG chair on eBay for the princely sum of £10 - potentially the bargain of a lifetime! But I've just been told that the seller - located in N4 - is trying to renege on the deal, which is a bit off.
    Have you tried the Hornsey Auction House? 54/56 High Street N8 7NX. I bought 4 art deco dining room chairs from an auction there for £60 about 8 years ago - still going strong. There's all sorts of rubbish stacked up and its worth going down to the auction for the experience.
  • RegReg
    @Nick_M, no I haven't. Sounds like a good option. Will take a saunter this weekend. Thanks
    @ Reg
    Think there's a bit of an art to writing Freecycle responses. When I've been giving stuff away it's not always the first person in who i give it to. I like it when they say exactly when they can pick up - esp if that's tonight. And when they give a good reason (or funny one) for wanting it, that's good too.