Free cash machine

edited April 2009 in Local discussion
The old post office on the Upper East Side opposite Londis now has a _free_ cash machine on a six month trial.

Comments

• edited 9:36PM
    Free... as in 'doesn't charge you an odd amount to withdraw your own money' I assume.

Has anyone else noticed the wierd amounts that the machines round here charge - The one outside Woody's in £1.84, and I've noticed another two around SG at £1.89 & £1.99. Whatever happened to the simple £1 or 50p charge?
    Cashpoints that charge are pure evil, and clearly they're pushing the charge up. I think the big banks would love to go back to charging (and god knows they'll be looking for ways to make more money at the moment) so I decided some time ago never to use a charged-for machine, even if it meant quite a walk. If we all use them, the charges will only increase and become more widespread. Good for the Post Office (the one on SGR has a free one too).
    Is it bank of Ireland? There is one of these in the post office at highbury grange. Its very handy as there are no other free ones. The shops nearby changing £1+ have lost their nasty little scam now.
    Have always found the chap in that shop to be one of the friendliest shop keepers in the area. A smile, helpful, a bit of chat. Must be tough competing with Londis.
    If you're really after bargain cash, try cashback at the Fullback on your credit card.
    Bank of Ireland underwrite the PO credit card, financial services etc so that would make a lot of sense. Good on them for installing, can't see how it makes any money other than through latent goodwill and spontaneous, simultaneous stamp sales.

'The People's Post Office' indeed.
  • RoyRoy
    edited 9:36PM
    So where are the cash machines around here?

The two I've found so far are outside Tesco's and Sainsbury's (both free I think?) What others are there in the area - both free and non-free?

_roy
    Two at Wells Terrace entrance to FP - both horrendously slow but free. One at the overground entrance/19 bus stop - not free. Barclays on Seven Sisters Rd opposite the overground entrance - free.
  • KazKaz
    One inside the post office on Stroud Green Rd. Free.
  • edited February 2011
    Another two (I think) at the Abbey National, opposite the gate to Finsbury Park on Seven Sisters Road. Handy if you fancy a night of Guiness supping at the Twelve Pins, a spin on the dodgems (at Finsbury Park fun fair) or you're going up Blackstock Road to sample some of the bars, pubs or eateries it has on offer.

Spread the love, spread the cash.
    And next to the Abbey ones there are Natwest ones.
    With HSBC ones a little further along.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KazKaz
    Does anyone still go to the bank to withdraw money? With the cashier I mean, not through the machines? Just wondering....

@tosscat - Really? Cashback on your credit card? So this means that it goes through as a purchase rather than withdrawal, hence less interest, right? I like it- buy a beer, save money.
    on re-reading the thread's title, i'm wondering if there are any cash machines anywhere that actually give away free cash. i've yet to find one that doesn't charge me at least the amount I ask to withdraw from my account.
  • RoyRoy
    @miss annie: all those cashpoints at Finsbury Park station? I use the Wells Terrace entrance every day (well, every day for the two weeks I've lived here :) -- I must be blind!

@Misscara: Big Sainsbury's and Little Sainsbury's - this is just like being back in Cambridge. I haven't found Big Sainsbury's yet. (At least I don't think I have - if the one I found on SGR is Big Sainsbury's then I can't imagine how small Little Sainsbury's must be :)

@WillM: Well, there *have* been free cash machines run be criminals, although I haven't heard of it happenign recently. The basic idea is that the criminals install a fake cash machine somewhere like a shopping centre, and it just gives out free cash. It also takes a copy of the card and records the PIN you type, though, so the free cash may be small recompense when the fraudsters clean out your bank account.

Thanks all, there are clearly many more machines around here than I've found so far - good to know there are options. Do let me know of any others that haven't been mentioned yet - always good to know where they are for emergecies!

-roy
    @Roy Yes, it's quite strange - I never noticed them until they were pointed out to me either. Instead of charging down the rabbit hole with the rest of the hordes take a moment to cast your eyes to your left and you will see them. They really are very slow though. Proper Sainsburys is beside Haringey station, which makes it sound far, far away but it's not. The easiest way (presuming you are not barmy enough to want to drive), is to walk along UTP, enter the park via Oxford Rd, follow the path round to the New River gate and then right into Endymion Rd and lo, the 'retail park' containing Sainsburys appears before you. Well that's the easiest way for me anyway, all depends where you live I suppose.
  • RoyRoy
    And I see there's a pay one in the Budget Supermarket and Off-Licence on the corner of Woodstock Road.

-roy
  • KazKaz
    I wish we could have one of these cash machines.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2009/aug/25/cockney-cash-machines

Sorry, don't know how to do a link.
  • edited February 2011
    <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2009/aug/25/cockney-cash-machines">link</a>

Only really need to be sorry if you do know how to do a link and then don't.

Edited for a link's premature ending.
  • KazKaz
    That link is not going to the right page though...
  • RoyRoy
    The cash machine outside Rodavis seems to have been finally switched off. However there appeared to be work going on inside there a week or so ago when I walked past - is something new opening up there? -roy
    I was at FP today and there was a brace of people in hi-viz garb and suits having a pow wow about the Wells terrace entrance. I earwigged and they were talking about removing the cashpoints!
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RoyRoy
    Presumably this is related to [the redevelopment](http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/content/Detail.aspx?ReleaseID=5893&NewsAreaID=2) of the National Rail part of the station?
  • RoyRoy
    Although thinking about it the Wells Terrace entrance doesn't really have anything to do with the National Rail station. Preparatory works for City North, maybe?
    I think the Wells Terrace redevelopment is on hold. I would imagine that it will wait for the City North redevelopment. It wasn't part of the planning permission for that though.