Japan Crescent

edited June 2009 in Local discussion
OK, I finally took the plunge and joined the group after lurking for a few years. The big question which I need answering is ... what are all those flags doing strung across Japan Crescent? I feel like there's been some big party I've missed out on!!

Mike (and hello to Alison if she reads this!)

Comments

• edited 7:45AM
    There was a street party on Sunday. Road closed and everything. There were various stalls selling food and drink and entertainment for young and old. There was a fair-sized crowd and everybody looked to be having a good time. I'm surprised to find no other comment about this. I only knew about this on the day as the bass from the sound system carried all the way to the other side of Crouch Hill / railway tracks. It just goes to show sg.org doesn't know everything that goes on in the area.
  • edited June 2009
    Proceeds went to some children's charity I can't remember. They had a good turn out and those involved seemed to be enjoying themselves. Was a bit MC/Carnival screachy for me so I looked on from the comfort of the Noble. I knew about it the day before because I'm a lush and was in the Noble the day before too.
    We passed through it, but hadn't got round to mentioning it. I think it was associated with the launch of the WKD place?
    Hi Mike! I saw it from the bus on Sunday, and was also surprised that nobody had mentioned it on here. It didn't seem to be very well publicised, or was it another one of those cliquey street parties where you're only allowed to go if you actually live in that street?
    It was organised by WKD, with proceeds going to Kids Company. I thought about posting something but never got round to it (we had a flyer through the door).

There was a bouncy castle, booze, food, sound system, and t-shirts for sale and people smoking spliffs. I think we stayed about 1 minute in all.
    Talking of street parties, anyone know when the annual one on Victoria Terrace is, off Upper Toll Park?
    <a href="http://www.thebiglunch.com/find-big-lunch" target="lunch">Start your own!</a>
  • edited June 2009
    What a great idea! Any volunteers to help organise a street party in Ossian Road?
    Yeah, I like a good street party...although Ive only been to one, for VE day back in The Rhondda (Wales)...I was quite young and had to pinch sips of Pernod from a krusty old nieghbour. I reckon a party the whole length of Stroud Green Road would be one to remember! For freaks and wierdos it would be a match for Carnival , and maybe Pappagonne would agree to frizbee pizzas out at the crowd all day?
    It could be the "Stroud Green Neighbourhood" street party, inclusive! The organisers of the Mount Pleasant Villas street party moved around the corner. I wonder if they'll get Blythwood Road whipped into shape? A lot of time and energy is needed to get these things going.... maybe we should be getting off our computers and out in the community. Then again, maybe not.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought WKD's was a pretty good effort. What could be good is trying to coordinate all these local street events onto the same day, I get the impression they all attract different crowds so without any cannibalisation of punter it'd be a good way of gathering critical local mass while dissipating responsibility and effort.