Cop action at Quernmore Road shops!

edited August 2009 in Local discussion
Lots of cops at the row of shops next the Harringey Station. You know the place on the corner with the concrete garden where all the jakeys sit/live with their White Lightening opp the library?

CID on walkie-talkie - "we have a crime scene here where this guy appears to have been pushed out the window". Oooof. Must have been round the back, as there was no grim evidence visible to this rubber necker.

Mrs. Mangel

Comments

• edited 12:21AM
    Bloke fell out of the window above the pizza place. 3 x fire engines, plenty of cops. They tried to move him via a ladder propped against the shop front but failed miserably and resorted to taking him back through the house.

So I've been reliably informed, I'm not actually in the area at the moment!!
    Yes staplejack, you are correct - it's been all go on the Upper East Side. I think the chopper was looking for somewhere to land. It was out the front but he landed on top of the bay so you couldn't see him.
    Cops were there again this morning (only saw two, about 7.40am). Assumed they were SOCO as one had the 'bin bags on feet' look goin' on. It's all go there isn't it. And the 'Police Line - Do Not Cross' tape was IN THE BIN. Wot can it meen?
    I feel sad for that little group shops. It's a nice setting for a cafe, off-license or the like. Just all boarded up apart from the small newsagent. Oh, there's a wood furniture ditty still in there too.
    Agree, it *could* be lovely, but is sort of stuck in a limited foot traffic area so not much will survive. You wouldn't walk up SHR unless you were going to the station.

The dry cleaners is too expensive too (£8 for a suit, whereas Snowwhite on SGR is £5/6).

I saw someone cleaning one of the shops a few weeks ago, think it was the one next door to the wood shop, the one with the black front. Nothing's come of it.

Friends who live on the Wightman Rd side don't even know the shops are there, and trek down to Green Lanes for all their paper supplies and shelving needs.
    i don't miss the grumpy git from the previous incarnation of that newsagents one bit. i once walked in there to find the place completely empty, no staff, i picked up 5 beers and left a fiver next to the till complete with a little note and as i'm leaving the guy bursts in and has a massive go at me - presumably for being the only dickhead honest enough to leave money+note when he leaves his crappy arsed shop unattended like a bellend.
    i managed to get the words "git", "dickhead", "bellend", "crappy" and "arsed" into a two sentence anecdote there. all that practise is paying off.
  • edited August 2009
    anyway, does anyone else know the guy i mean? always in a bad mood, would always make you wait for some reason or other, scowling, mini-dreds, looked a bit like seal's scrotey cousin?
    @injoke I remember him. He grew tolerant of me as I was prepared to wait to pay until he finished watching the 5.15 from Kempton or whatever race was on. It was weird in there. Lots of empty spaces on shelves. I remember the occupants before him, older woman had it. That was when the offy was also trading a couple of doors up. Probably its heyday. I've often thought a nice cafe would be good there. For those on way to work and then the yummy mummies in the daytime - there must be some that use the library.
    The pizza place and curry shop both played the 'cheap as chips, not very nice as a result' card and failed accordingly. But take-away / delivery shops don't rely on footfall.

You might get a few people looking for coffee / cake after a trip to the library, but in terms of local residents I just can't see their being enough demand for a coffee shop.

Unless you consider the bored teenagers who hang on the street corner on summer evenings..
    Which one is Snow White? I use the one by the station as it is dead-convenient, but agree he's far too expensive.
    Snow White is the one half-way up, just past Perth Road. Has been ok over the years, though one pair of (casual) trousers returned covered in ink(!).

The one next the the Chinese Takeaway/Woodstock Road apparently doesn't have the machines working - and sub-contracts the cleaning to Snowwhite (that's according to Kieran in Snowwhite though...)
    Snow White seem to be a bit overeager with their ironing though. Last time I had the lapel ironed down in the wrong place on two jackets. Ever since, my colleagues in the city have taken up standing around me and pointing their fingers at me, but what does Snowwhite care? That said, the creases in the trousers are razor-sharp.
    I hope it's Snow White I mean.
    Probably is - similar story with jacket lapels with me.
    They've done it again! Is it acceptable to walk in and tell them to iron the double lapel out while I am there? Or is that being the bully customer from hell/city?
  • The whole "do it while I'm here!" thing does sound a bit stressful.
    No harm in taking it back in and telling them it's not acceptable and as a valued customer they should do it again. Based off their response; go mental or say thanks and that you hope it doesn't happen again.
    Thanks Mr fromtheblok. I knew I could count on this site.
    Funny about the lapels. I went in there last week, and mentioned to them that their lapel work needed looking at and that it was being talked about in various quarters. I think Kierian would be fine about you telling him, better than stewing on it. He seems a bit of a perfectionist, and would probably relish a discussion on the finer points of lapel pressing. I just had my skirt with fan pleats re-pressed because they weren't sharp enough, no problem.

I've seen someone go mental in there before actually, Kierian was so sweet to them, they just looked a like a complete pratt.
    I don't think anyone's in danger of me going mental complaining. I walked into their shop after work and they did it on the spot, very apologetic etc. Faith restored.