Postal Strike

edited September 2009 in Local discussion
I was down to collect a parcel from the Delivery Office in Green Lanes this morning. 3rd time I've been down since I got a 'sorry you were out' card, strike has disrupted services, understandable.

While waiting for the gate to be unlocked, someone from the CWU picket came up to hand out an open letter as to why they were doing it.

In addition, word for word, she said <b>"Managements are talking about 'absorption'. Now, I don't know what that means - but it's one of those words when you don't know what it means, you know it must be bad!"</b>

Too stunned to enter into conversation with the lady. The Open Letter from the CWU is quite shocking though, so generally they have my sympathy.

Comments

• edited 9:01AM
    Since many mail staff seem to have difficulty reading fairly simple stuff like house numbers and street names, a word like 'absorption' was always going to be pushing it.
    Whilst some of the individual postmen I've spoken to are nice, the standard of our local postal service is shocking. A good test of this is that I subscribe to a bunch of magazines, some of which get sent from abroad. Delivery is utterly random - I get missed weeks, two at once, random days. A good service would be predictable, ours is anything but.
  • We get Time Out through the post. It's supposed to come every Wednesday. Last week it came on Friday. That was an improvement on two weeks before, when it didn't come at all.
    I phoned Time Out Subs and said I wasn't receiving it until either last thing on Wednesday night or Thursday morning when I'd already left the house, so was missing days of usefulness. I gave them specific issue numbers of the last couple that had been late, and they added an extra couple of issues to the end of my subscription, no questions.

When requested, they changed my delivery method to "courier", and it now arrives on Tuesday evenings, hand delivered by a couple of guys who race about the streets in some kind of 1980s Renault. No extra charge. You know it makes sense.
  • We actually switched from courier to RM. The courier refused to put the magazine through the letter box. Not a big deal, really, but a few issues had gone missing. We thought that someone may have been taking them from our steps. Either that, or they were never delivered in the first place.
    Weird, they put it through my letter box no bother (terrace house, 3 flats share one letterbox in the front door).

Oh well. It's pretty rubbish anyway/barely worth the money. If there is an alternative listing site without the editorial clap-trap of TO, I'd happily use that instead.
    If you can try to wangle their 13 issues for 99p - invariably when you cancel it they give you a call to renew it after a couple of weeks at 99p again.
    We're waiting on a good few items of post. The last one I went to collect from the depot had apparently been put back into the postal system! Not hopeful
    It's raining today. We get no post when it rains and then a flurry of post on the first dry day after rain. A coincidence? I think not.
    Postal strikes are due to hit most of London again tomorrow (Wednesday)
    how will we know?
    i tried it on with time out today and wangled courier delivery and a few free issues too. lady on the phone sounded very disbelieving when i told her we rarely got ours before thursday and very often on a friday. i wasn't lying but i did overegg my annoyance mainly because i stupidly forgot to cancel the 99p deal and they charged me £22.50.
    I love postal strikes because each one encourages another few businesses to stop relying on the postal service as a means of communication, thus further helping to run an inefficient tax-grabbing company into oblivion.
    My DVDs fail to show though :(
    How do you tell if there's a postal strike or not, the post is sporadic and several times a week there are random items for other houses, streets and postal codes. If I'm getting other people's post, who's getting mine... eek!
    The strikes are mentioned in the news and details are posted on the news section of royalmail.com at the start of each week.