Drumming

edited September 2009 in Local discussion
Is it acceptable to do this all afternoon on a Saturday, or should these people be put to death? If it's you, please stop, it's driving me nuts, and you're not very good. Thanks.

Comments

• Hehe. Where do you live? Unaesthetic was drumming this afternoon for about 30 minutes with the sound on. Usually he wears headphones.

We had this discussion about a month ago. I don't remember if there was a consensus. Musicians have to live somewhere, and they do need to practice, but I agree, it is really annoying. Even when the person is good. You don't want to have to listen to it six hours a day.
  • edited 5:58PM
    Do you live on Beatrice Road? Guy somewhere there is often playing reggae stuff to records - he's actually pretty good!
    In theory: live and let live, we all have annoying habits, why can't we all get along, a bit of drumming isn't the end of the world In practice: I want to kill you. Stop drumming now.
    My son wants to put a drum kit in the garden shed.

Should I be weak or strong?
    WHAT'S THE SOLUTION? NOISE POLLUTION!
    taff, sound proof it as an early xmas present and let him go for it. Problem with musicians practising in domestic environments is they rarely just play a tune, its more looping focus on movements and specific parts they need to get right. It's like hearing a scratched record, but with live instrument. So whether they're good or bad rarely comes into it. It grates the outside listener no matter.
    Albert rd. It was LOT longer than 30mns. 30 mns, even an hour, I can take. All afternoon and I want to kill you. They're at it again now.
  • We don't live on Albert Road, so it wasn't us. Do you know which house it's coming from? You can send them a <a href="http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/">passive aggressive note</a>.
    Just ask them. They probably won't hear the door mind.
  • AliAli
    edited 5:58PM
    It is very difficult to work out which flat it comes from
  • edited September 2009
    I heard the drumming as I walked down Albert Road on Saturday and thought to myself the neighbours must love this, but better to practice at 1pm in the afternoon than 1am in the morning I guess. Glad I'm not living below. Quite easy to work out the flat – the windows wide open for all to see and hear.
    The guy drumming that's audible on Albert Road is a pain. For a start he's still in the early stages so it's still more 'hitting' than drumming. Hasn't he heard of muffled pads (madam!) or synth pads so that he can keep the rest of N4 from forming a lynch mob! Inconsiderate.
    At school I was taught to drum on a plank of wood with underlay glued on it.
    But must he/she drum EVERY BLOODY DAY???? If I could work out which of the two houses it was coming from, I'd go and have a word, but I can't.
  • edited September 2009
    Why has no-one applauded my tale of yore like they do Busby's? I was hitting a plank of wood with a stick in a previous century for god's sake. We're talking the opening scene of A Space Odyssey here people.
    Absolutely fascinating, David, thanks for posting.
    @ Colette, go to either house and ask them. If it's the drumming house, then great, if it's not the drumming house then they will surely join you to come to the other house to complain.
    Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
    @Collette

We had an opera singer once and a sax player, not in same house, neither were very good or they would have been out more.

The thing about drummers is that much like goalkeepers and architechts they just want a bit of attention.
    @tosscat - that's my plan, especially as the latest development is that the house next door starts up with really loud Turkish (?) music about 15mns after the drumming starts. Can't say I blame them, but it's even more annoying. Maybe I should just get some earplugs.
  • AliAli
    Get the Council Noise police
  • jj
    Learning a musical instrument is one thing - hammering the drums almost EVERY afternoon with the window open (and a terrible sense of rhythm) is plain selfish.

This racket is certainly noise pollution.
    You should worry. My house backs onto Finsbury Park and every weekend they hold a drumming class down the end backing onto the bowling alley. It's like being in a jungle with these tomtoms going allday. I went outside talking to my sister on the phone and she could hear it as it was so loud so I had to go back inside and close the doors and windows to shut it out. Sitting outside is not an option any more if you want to hold a conversation or listen to the wildlife. It begins to grate on your nerves like a dripping tap. Dom, dom, dom, dom dom dom..... dumb! Argh!
    How long does the class last? Do their arms not get tired? Anyway, surely you live in a city, and the drumming class is your wildlife.
    Ian plays the drums. We keep the bass drum (with a lent-and-never-returned pedal) in the spare room and the other drums in the loft. That way I find it just about tolerable to live with his musical tendencies.
    Does that mean he has to run down to the spare room from the loft every time he wants to kick the bass drum? Should be a fit man.
    Or he's got really long legs.
    That drum class is intensely annoying when one wants to sit in the park of a Sunday and read. I imagine it's even worse for people with hangovers.
    I admit I am not constantly affected but I actually enjoy hearing that drumming in the park when I walk past that hut. Also I think it's a nice example of how welcoming and multicultural a place London is. Doing the drumming in a remote corner of a large park is more than most other musicians do. As for disturbing your reading, I think that FP is really large enough, and that the east side is nicer anyway.
  • jj
    Seeing as it is such a fantastic day today, I headed to the park for some fresh air, peace and quiet, like many others.

Sadly this was spoiled by a few people's drumming 'music' (it must be a tiny minority of the number of people in the park today) sending a racket across the entire open space.

Drummers: why can't you take your selfish noise-polluting little hobby indoors? Have you no respect for the hundreds of other park visitors who value this peaceful open space we are privileged to have?

Re previous comment... I find describing it as "welcoming an multicutural" a bit patronising. There are plenty of other ways in which the place is welcoming and multicultural without this noise pollution. Just look at the variety of people out to enjoy the park and that alone shows the place is already both welcoming and multicultural.

In any case... what 'culture' is this drumming racket, exactly?