Co-op bakery?

2»

Comments

• edited 8:06AM
    Slap him, he's French.
    There is a really good bakery stall at Archway Market - junction of Holloway Rd and St.John's Gove - on a Saturday. Also an excellent secondhand book stall and a knitting stall run by one of our fellow SG'ers. Why on earth Crouch End needs a Farmer's Market when they already have an award winning baker,top notch greengrocer, fishmonger, butcher and a Budgens selling every overpriced organic thing you could ever need, is beyond my imaginings. SG would be a much better place for it. There must be some manky old school playground that they could set up in of a weekend.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2011
    I like the archway market, and it's a short cycle ride with no hills, unlike Ally Pally one. I think Crouch Enders have been campaigning for a farmers' market for years now. Not sure why its not happened, not that I care. I like a good bit of fancy bread, but I really enjoy the chollah and bagels, from the Really Happening Bakery place on Seven Sisters Road. I like the service in there. None of that slow, limp handed BBM nonsense. In 15 seconds, and you get a thick cake with raspberry jam topping with coconut and some not terrible instant coffee for £2.10 I work near the fishmongers Moxons in East Dulwich. For a while they had a lovely bread stall outside their shop. The stall eventually turned into a bigger bakery down the road. I thought it was a good idea. Could imagine something like that outside Chez Liline, if anyone's up for it.
    Yes, if you're on foot it's just a brisk 15 minute trot from SG to Archway market. Well worth a visit, there really is some good stuff to be had. It's unfortunate that it's called Archway market - makes it sound a bit scummy which it most definitely is not.
    thank for info about archway market - i always struggle to cycle uphill to ally pally market and then struggle to choose from the little choice they have. btw, Gails in Crouch End gives out loyalty cards whereif you buy 8 breads you get one free.
    Point taken about farmers markets – there are a lot around already. Given the footfall on Stroud Green Road though – both from locals and people passing through on buses – there must be potential for something. Perhaps something which helps to build on and support the areas existing independent shops and restaurants. How about some sort of market where local shops / restaurants / cafes / craftspeople can set up stall and bring their wares / food and drink to a wider audience? I'm sure the likes of Season and Petek would set up bbq, along with stalls from the likes of Chez Liline and Tony's or Godfrey's and the Station House Community Cafe thing! In some ways this would be better than a farmers market as money spent stays in the local economy and helps to support existing local businesses.