Finsbury Park theatre??

edited February 2010 in Local discussion
I found a leaflet on the floor by the station this evening, not sure of its integrity but it sounded very interesting. I shall transcribe: **Proposed New Theatre Public Consultation**: Saturday 13th February 2pm-6pm and Monday 15th February 6pm-8pm 11 Clifton Terrace, Finsbury Park, N4 We plan to convert and extend the office building (previously occupied by Sense) into a new cultural flagship for Finsbury Park - with a 200 seat theatre, a studio theatre half that size, an interval bar and a foyer. It will also contain rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms and a small office. We aim to bring high quality theatrical entertainment to the area, while also providing young people in the area with the opportunity to develop their confidence and communication skills through participation in drama. The site is at the heart of the Community Core within Islington Council's proposed Finsbury Park Area Action Plan. We aim to submit a planning application in March 2010. We would like to show you our latest plans and answer any questions you would like to ask. If you are unable to attend either of these meetings please email jezbond[at]live.co.uk. We will then arrange an alternative time to discuss our plans with you. To help us assess your views, we will ask you to fill in a short feedback form to tell our development team of your views.

Comments

• edited 6:20PM
    That sounds like a great plan!
  • Brilliant! Who's the promoter?
    it doesn't say any details at all, the only google-able thing was the name jez bond. there was a picture on the front of a scene from a play of 'the twits', saying underneath "artistic director: jez bond". but googling him isn't very enlightening. i'll probably pop along to the meeting on saturday. presumably it's totally embryonic. a twinkle in jez bond's eye in fact. so not sure how likely it is to happen but i will report back!
  • edited February 2010
    Dear All,

Great to hear the excitiment about our project!

It is more than a little twinkle - and, after much consultation with Islington council, we are soon to submit the full plans for consideration.

If anybody wishes to attend the 'open days' please come to the site and you can chat with us and have a look at all the plans. We would love to hear comments from our local residents.

Many thanks,

Jez

Jez Bond
    For the theatre related enquiries please contact me at: jezbond(-at-)live.co.uk
  • Hi Jez, keep us up to date and how you get on as it sounds a very interesting project. Best of luck. I went to see a production called Money on Sat night which is put on by the Shunt production company and really recommend it. They do late shows on Friday and Saturday and well worth a look.
  • FinFin
    edited 6:20PM
    This sounds great, a very exciting addition to the area. I go to The Tricycle theatre in Kilburn every now and then, a good example of what you're trying to achieve I would guess?

What is the proposed open date?
    Good luck! Sounds like a great idea.
  • Thanks folks. Yes I like the Tricycle. We're planning to have two spaces which would make us a little different, but I'll let you know more soon! Essentially we will be doing a mixture of producing our own plays and bringing in exciting new companies. As for the open date, it's very up in the air at the moment. I think the earliest would be Christmas next year but more likely Spring 2012. In short - as soon as possible - as quickly as we can build it all! Do pop along this Sat or Mon and see the plans. Cheers, Jez
    nice to see you on here, i'm very glad to hear that it's already on the way to happening. i think my doubts were mainly founded on the fact that i'd found the leaflet on the floor on fonthill road. i'll try to come along next monday (before book club) and have a nosey. good luck and keep us updated!
    Sounds great! I'd welcome a local theatre.
    I'd be very excited to have a theatre so close but wonder whether you have consulted other interested groups in the area. I had heard that there were already plans to build a community theatre in the area and I doubt whether Finsbury Park could sustain two theatres, however nice that would be! Would you have any relationship with the Almeida and / or the Pleasance theatres? Or any of the fringe venues? Will you have detailed plans for us to look at?
  • Yes we will have detailed plans and will endeavour to answer all of your questions. Cheers, Jez
  • edited December 2017
    I can't quite figure out where that used to be. Was it where the Caribbean shack and carwash are? Or where the Vista development is?

I'm suprised there wasn't a protest over its demolishion.
    A
    I went to the exhibition yesterday and in case anyone is interested, there's a photo of the artist mockup of the front <a href="http://www.markpack.org.uk/clifton-terrace-new-theatre-planned-for-finsbury-park/">here</a>.
    I'm keen on this plan, but I think that mock-up looks ugly. We're at the beginning of a very rare opportunity to redevelop Finsbury Park for the better, and most of that row of buildings needs demolishing and replacing with structures of architectural merit. That picture suggests a wasted opportunity to improve the area visually.
    Arky
  • Thanks for that, Mark. What's the school that's opening its own theatre? Does it have anything to do with the Islington Youth Theatre?
  • Hi Arkady. Whilst the interior of the spaces have been designed in detail, the mock-up of the exterior facade is (for planning purposes) an example of what in principle we would like to do. i.e. 1) to project out over the pavement with a window box which provides a view in and also provides a canopy below and 2) to change the external facade by rendering/cladding/painting. Niether the exact materials of design nor the colour schemes have been determined yet. I agree that we need to provide a positive (though not too 'showy') change to this drab street with its closed shutters. If you are available tomorrow night we are having our final showing between 6-8pm and would value your opinions. Best wishes, Jez
    Arkady asked: <I>I can't quite figure out where that used to be. Was it where the Caribbean shack and carwash are? Or where the Vista development is?</I>

Where the Vista development is.
  • Park Theatre - where is the exhibition?
    Thanks Jez, I hope to do just that. Best of luck
    Arky
    It where the "Scope" headquarters used to be on Wells Terrace.
    Something about that term 'Community Core' fills me with gloom.

Wasn't there talk of a theatre complex thing in the Council building in Crouch End too? You wait years for a theatre, and then three/four come along all at once!
  • Went past the old Scope building at four o clock, and there was a poster advertising the consultation but the doors were locked and a big machine was inside smashing up some concrete. So I will never know.

An omen, I fear.
    6-8pm tonight i think!
  • Hi Krappy! It was as Sophie said between 6-8pm (which was detailed on the flyer transcribed above). Sorry you missed it. Let me know what info you would like. Send me an email to: jezbond(at)live.co.uk. Best wishes, Jez
    I took another look round today (thanks Jez!) and have stuck some photos up on my blog: <A href="http://www.markpack.org.uk/the-park-theatre-clifton-terrace/">http://www.markpack.org.uk/the-park-theatre-clifton-terrace/</a>;