Yet more on SGR/FP shops...

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
Just a couple of quickies.

Re the chemist's more or less opposite Jai Krishna: £9+, for 30 gingko biloba tablets(=brain cell boosters for oldies)!! I couldn't believe my ears - especially as the Seven Sisters Rd chemist's opposite Lidls sells the same number for about £1.40.

At last! A coffee shop on the south side of FP station. Work in progress at the mo, but at looks as if it'll be called Mike's, which is a good start, as far as I am concerned. Corner of SGR, where the other Woody's used to be. Let's hope a) that the coffee's good; and b) that there's an armchair or two.

Comments

• edited 8:08AM
    An Armchair or two?? Surely you can find somewhere nicer to while away time with your coffee than Finsbury Park Station.
    I don't see it that way, Tallboy. Precisely because it's so grotty round there, a decent coffee shop might go some way to improving the area, and - who knows? - other decent shops might be encouraged to join them. Good cafes make a difference, just as restaurants do.

Take Dottori, for instance. I've never been there, but I see all the smart young things of SG.org go there in droves. It may eventually encourage other quality shops to benefit from the same clientele, don't you think?

Isn't that the way the other end of SGR gradually went upmarket?
    <a href="http://holfordwatch.info/2007/06/13/ann-walker-festival-there-is-no-convincing-evidence-that-ginkgo-biloba-is-efficacious-for-dementia-and-cognitive-impairment/">"Overall, evidence that Ginkgo has predictable and clinically significant benefit for people with dementia or cognitive impairment is inconsistent and unconvincing. Two of the best most recent trials, which are also among the largest trials, found no difference between placebo and Ginkgo."</a>

£9 will buy you much more braincell boostage in the Nicholas Nickelby.
    That's only temporary boostage followed by complete degeneration the next day.
    .. which seems to get worse as one gets older... (the following day degeneration, not the temporary boostage)...

Actually, maybe Seven Sisters Rd Chemists are on to something and selling placebos at £1.40 for 30.

Oh no, hang on.
    The good news, though Checkski, is that coffee improves cognitive function.

Especially in women over 80 who have drunk coffee all their lives apparently. That's what I'm holding out for anyway.
    Nicotine and MDMA also improve cognitive function apparently.

And for once I'm not taking the piss.
    At what point in one's MDMA binge is your cognitive function 'improved'? I would have said that it was temporarily altered in a thoroughly entertaining way, but improved? If there are long-term benefitial effects I would like to know... A
    I know a couple of people who, after taking pills, found themselves...not unable to read, but disinclined to read for pleasure, even years later. Now, clearly because of our absurd drugs laws and the consequent lack of quality control there's every chance that those pills contained not the merest hint of MDMA, but it's still made me wary of that whole pharmaceutical area.