Stroud Green Oscars

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
How about holding our own SGR awards ceremony? If we can host polls on the site, we could nominate and then vote for our favourites in a number of categories, eg:

Best shop assistant.
Best pub.
Best restaurant.
Best pizza.
Best takeaway/delivery service.
Best Sunday Lunch.
Etc.

We could then hold an annual awards ceremony where we all get together and present the winners with some low value but high prestige token. Good for their business and fun.

Is this possible/something people would be interested in?

Comments

• edited 4:22AM
    We could buy miniature Oscar replicas and I'll paint them up with relevant uniforms.
    Great idea. Let me know if I can help. A
    I would normally make a sarcastic comment about how this means rewarding the most mediocre yet worthy shops, except last night's Oscars broke the habit of a lifetime and gave several big prizes to films I either liked or really want to see. OK, tiresome middlebrow issue movies like Precious still got a few nods, but it's almost as though the Academy has begun to develop a sense of taste. These are truly the last days.
    I do think that this is a great idea, how would we get the ball rolling? The idea of stickers in the windows of the nominated shops, as suggested on the 'New Victoria Line Train' thread is good too.
    My original thought was for a process of open nominations for each category. We then use some process (number of nominations?) to whittle the nominations for each category down to say 5 contenders.

We'd then need to run a poll on the homepage, listing the nominees. Perhaps a different category every week, or all cateogory polls from day one til the cut off date.

However, all of this would require quite a bit of work from our administrators.
    Nice idea! I especially like your suggestion miss annie of hand painted trophy figurines! Gives it an ironic quirk, making it fun rather than earnest competition.

Another suggestion: we procure the manky sheep from Woody's and offer it as the 'Dusty Bin' booby prize to the offeneders of the worst overall service and/or product.

I can predict that Tesco might win the sheep year after year. The sheep might do a better job than some of bone lazy graduates of stupid school who work in Tesco now.
    Love it! The Stroud Green Sheep of Shame!
    Maybe you can personally deliver it to Nandos...
    Can I vote, can I be bribed?
    I really like this idea. We could make posters for the winners to display in their windows and banners for their websites.
    and the sheep...
    andy's gone very quiet. A