Sainsbury's is coming to Stroud Green Road - Woody's is going!

Comments

• edited 12:25PM
    Angel Delight - Butterscotch flavour, oh my! I still have it as a guilty pleasure from time to time.
    I was wrong, it was Birds Eye Steakhouse grills, just googled it.
    My really dirty secret is Findus crispy pancakes, the mince beef ones (well probably dog food!)
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    They're still in Tesco Misscara in the frozen aisle. Usually 99p for 6. I buy them in disguise under the cover of darkness.
    What kind of disguise?
    sandwiches?!

though, thinking about it, with some cheese between the pancakes and the break, they would make a good toasted sandwich...
    You're all describing the food I was raised on.
    that advert always used to bug ma as a kid. they would be singing, in the back of said van, about all the food they wanted for tea.... but not the "steakhouse grills" - boy were they going to be disappointed when they get home - not a fried onion ring in sight!
  • edited October 2010
  • benben
    edited 12:25PM
    There may be another Sainsburys coming to the area. The guy who owns the Finsbury Park Superstore on Blackstock Rd says that they have bought him out, and should be moving in early next year.
    If Blackstock Road is becoming gentrified then anything can happen.
    How big is that store, will it make a decent sized Sainsburys?
    Comparable with the SG Sainsburys.
  • benben
    edited 12:25PM
    Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but I think Blackstock Rd is ripe for gentrification and will smarten up quite quickly once something like this happens.

That said, I really like the Finsbury Park Superstore and will be a bit sad to see it replaced.
    I think that may be wishful thinking Ben. It is walking distance from there to Highbury Park though - that's gentrified.
    I was being a tad unfair actually, Blackstock has much more potential than, say, the stretch of Seven Sisters twixt the rainbow and Hornsey Rd. Good For Food have been leading the way for years. I'll miss that store too. They have everything. I hope that Mix doesn't go, that place is like something out of Blade Runner.
    I love Blackstock just as it is and think this obsession with gentrification is quickly becoming the new pebble dashing. We'll look back in 20 years and wonder why the fuck we kitted everywhere out like it. I'm going to start calling it gastrodash.
    I notice that the little late-night supermarket down from Sainsbury's has had its booze license suspended for several weeks - anyone know what the story is there? I would have asked myself but whenever I've been past/in it was busy, so at least they seem to be surviving Sainsbury's arrival nonetheless. It was also closed before its advertised 3am when I went past on Saturday night, perhaps because without alcohol fewer people feel the need for a late night visit.
    There was a sign on a lamp post a few weeks ago saying their license was getting temporarily suspended as they got caught selling booze to underage kids 3 times in a month as part of those checks the Council or whoever does.
    Ah, thought it might be something like that. Good old entrapment.
  • edited October 2010
    Can someone print me a t-shirt with 'Stop trying to corral me into the self service area!' on it please.
    Misscara: there are still nearby options if you're prepared to trek down to Seven Sisters Road, thank heavens.
    @tosscat - I actually had to say 'because I really really hate them' to a guy who kept asking why I was queuing and not jumping at the chance to serve myself at about half the speed.
    Me too! I had to really stamp my feet about it to stop them harassing me.
    It's the way forward, whether you like them or not. You'll have to get used to them eventually (stationed scanners now, mobile scanners next).
    I don't and I won't. They are on my list of very bad things. I'll spend hours trawling round Crouch End (or Nags Head market) to the butchers, bakers and candlestick makers instead.