Clothing Collection by a 'Charity'

edited March 2010 in Local discussion
If you get a leaflet through your door from Helping Arms offering to take unwanted clothes etc off your hands, you might want to think twice about leaving goods out for them. They are not registered with the charity commission and are using a fake charity number. If you read the leaflet, it suggests they are probably not English speakers either. Take your clothes to Mind on Stroud Green Road instead.

Comments

• edited 8:50PM
    Same goes for the KKarolinas one I got recently, they didn't bother with a charity number!

There must be some good money in it
    On a similar note I was in Nando's (First time in a year of living here) and 2 children were sent in collecting for a charity, the name escapes me now, all they had were clip boards where you sign and I didn't see any ID either. I saw quite a few people handing over cash without a second thought, probably because they are kids.

Personally I'd rather give my money to the homeless guy that sleeps outside various shops along SGR, at least I know where my money is going, on drink! Good for him in my opinion, it's what I was probably going to spend it on anyway.
    I know a lot about this clothes charity scam business.

For a really scary version of the old clothes scam, take a look at <a href='http://www.tvindalert.com'>this website</a> run by someone I know. (Though I don't think this organisation is collecting in London just at the moment - they're in other parts of the country. Indeed, world.)
    RE: cash collections, by law charities/collectors must follow these rules:

*Minors can not collect cash
    *Visable id
    *Collection tin and/or bucket must be visibly sealed, with the official seal of the charity
    *Tins and buckets must not be shaken (to attract attention)
    *Collectors should be static (IE not direcly approach potential donor)
    *Collectors can not ask for a donation

The restrictions are to ensure that the public is not hassled, but make the collector's job difficult.

IMPORTANTLY anyone coming into a pub/bar/restaurant shaking a tin, or approaching you in any other public place is very likely (almost certainly) to be bogus.

When they approach me, I immediately ask for id and look for the seal, usually they have neither, realise they've been rumbled and scarper (before I can make a citizen's arrest...haha I'd love to!).

I'm a Fundraiser for a national charity, pisses me off that your well intentionned donations lines some chancer's pockets.
    I have said in a previous thread that if you wish to give clothes away to charity then find a genuine textile bank or call your chosen charity and ask them if they can pick it up from you. This is usually an option with the larger charities.
    Even ripped or worn out stuff can be sold to the rag trade and money made from it.

If this seems like small dice then you can try and organise a 'Bring your stuff to work' day.

This way the charity will usually gladly send a van to your workplace to collect as many bags as you can get colleagues to bring, gets everyone involved and obviously makes it easier for the charity to get more stuff.

* I also work for a Charity