RICHMOND HARRIET - LIBERAL DEMOCRAT 790
TIBBS DAVID - LIBERAL DEMOCRAT 757
BOATER ALISON - GREEN 531
JONES PETER - GREEN 429
MUIRHEAD CHRISTINE - GREEN 408
CONNORS DUNCAN - CONSERVATIVE 226
CRAWFORD FRASER - CONSERVATIVE 222
PSATHA MARIA - CONSERVATIVE 183

Tollington is in Islington, where the council is made up of 16 wards and 48 councillors. There is a Liberal Democrat minority administration, made up as follows:

Liberal Democrats - 24 Councillors
Labour - 23 Councillors
Green - 1 Councillors

Comments

• edited 3:51PM
    Anyone know how the Council election works? From memory you have to vote for more than one candidate, I seem to remember getting very confused last time!
    You can cast up to three votes as there are three seats up for election in each ward. So (up to) three crosses on the council ballot paper but only one cross on the Parliamentary ballot paper (as there's just one MP per constituency).
    @markpack Thanks.

Now does anyone know a way to contact these prospective councillors? I have questions for them!
  • Hello @yagamuffin. You can get me on here, call me on 020 7686 0235 or email me at richard.watts01@gmail.com.
    @ Councillor Watts

I'll ask you here. What are you going to do about the appalling state of the roads in the borough? Having recently started cycling to work the one thing that will get my vote is the ability to get to work in one piece without have my bones (and bike) rattled to bits by all the pot-holes and large cracks in the road surface.
  • Hi, I agree that the state of the roads is a real problem. We are told that the severe winter weather is to blame for the very large number of potholes and poor road surfaces at the moment but many roads (for example, Almington Street and others) were in a mess before this winter.

The Government has just allocated a pile of cash to mending the current problems with roads <http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/mar/24/budget-2010-potholes-winter-repair>, although I don't know yet how much of this will go to Islington.

The solution to repairing roads is simple, but not cheap - the Council has to spend capital money mending them. There are lots of competing priorities for this money - everything from new affordable housing to repairing our primary schools to building new youth facilities - but Tollington ward gets a pretty poor deal form the current Council and we will fight to ensure that this area gets its fair share of the cash for repairing roads.
    I'm voting for the person who puts the least amount of leaflets through my door.
    It seems to me that main cause of poor road surfaces is shoddy reinstatement work after a utility company has dug a hole.

Why is the council picking up the tab for making repairs, and in some cases complete re-surfacing, rather than getting the utility companies to do the job properly?
    Because that's how the world works nowadays; private companies make the profit and the public sector has to deal with the fuck-ups.
    On a very tiny sample, the polling for this ward suggests 3 Labour candidates will be returned, with a strong showing from the Greens.

Also, it looks like Corbyn is the short-odds favourite to retain his seat.

Interesting to note that the Lib Dems are nowhere, despite their strength on the other side of the street.

WATTS Richard - Labour 54.5% 6
    WEST Catherine - Labour 45.5% 5
    KASEKI Jean Roger - Labour 45.5% 5
    BOATER Alison - Green 36.4% 4
    GREGG Alex - Conservative 27.3% 3
    HORNE Stephen - Green 27.3% 3
    MILLEN Robert - Conservative 18.2% 2
    WILLIAMS Christopher - Conservative 18.2% 2
    DUNKERLEY Carina - Green 18.2% 2
    SMITH Robert - Liberal Democrats 9.1% 1
    OLLIER Alexander - Liberal Democrats 0.0% 0
    MAKHAPILA Julliet - Liberal Democrats 0.0% 0
    Think I shall be going Green all the way.

You say Corbyn is favourite for the General election, how close are the other two?
  • New powers being granted to Leaders of the Council across the UK mean that knowing about the person who's going to occupy the top job has just got much more important.<br><br>With that in mind, as our small contribution to borough-wide council election coverage,  we interviewed the leaders of the Labour & Lib Dem groups for Haringey.<br><br>If anyone's interested, you can see them at <a href="http://is.gd/bBb3t">Harrringay Online’s YouTube channel</a>.