Book club meeting 3 - 24th May

edited May 2010 in Local discussion
just in case anyone had forgotten or didn't see the next book, it is: ##**one day** by **david nicholls** the meeting will be at 7.30 on 24th of may at the old dairy, in the restaurant section behind the velvet curtain(!). the real reason i started this discussion was so i could post this photo. i just finished the book yesterday and really enjoyed it, i'd been going on about it for days and my boyfriend was getting a bit sick of it. then i received this lovely media message from him: "in a pub in camden. look what was propping open the door of the shitter" ![one day](http://i40.tinypic.com/16gzh1d.jpg) but really, it is a very good book. i think.

Comments

• edited 6:02PM
    I absolutely adored this book. I did come to the OD for the last meeting but couldn't find you guys, I was with a friend so kind of wussed out. What part of the pub will you be in? Preferably near the window bit with the book on the table? I've lent my friend my copy because I loved it so much but doubt she'll come along (she's moving to Angel, darn her).
    Sorry I evidently can't read properly because I now know where you will be sitting! See you there! Becky
    One Day is on 3 for 2 at Waterstone's if anyone has yet to get a copy.

Just thinking about the feedback from the last book club meeting, and I wonder if a big square table (two regular ones pushed together) would help the flow of conversation? With a long table conversation tends to fragment or get stuck at one end.

@the old dairy
    Adam, would it be ok for us to move tables if no one else is using the restaurant ?
    Oh damn, I can't come along now. Am annoyed because I really enjoyed this one as did everyone that I've recommended it to. Hope it goes well, I look forward to hearing about it.
    Only five of us tonight plus Adam popped in for a bit. We had a great discussion though and I think everyone hot a chance to talk this time, and it was interesting. Personally I disliked the book but chatting About it made me see some of the bits I did like more clearly. Next time we're going to read two books so we can have two discussions!
    I liked your pic Sophie!
    Sorry I couldn't make it - I described why on the new thread...
    I'd really enjoyed One Day. It was very convenient that it was last month's book as it was already by my bed - although I have to admit I'd picked it up and put it down about 3 times but I got stuck in on holiday and it didn't take me too long to start enjoying it. I think it was because I found Dexter so unlikeable that it put me off a bit. I've got a mental block about the girl's name (and I have passed the book on) but anyway, I loved her. I thought it was very true to our times and true of people in London. And as someone who works in TV I found Dexter's character scarily familiar but thankfully I don't work with people like him very often!
    It was so sad - I was gutted towards the end, sobbing on my sun lounger!

Was it generally well liked or was there a mix of opinions?
    gosh i'm really sorry i haven't signed on here in ages. i've been incapacitated by various things. i'm so sorry to have missed it, i really wanted to come.
    that's OK! hope you are ok, know what it's like when things get on top of you.... we missed you!