Nigerian Carnival in the park this weekend

IanIan
edited August 2010 in Local discussion
Picked up this info via the medium of twitter about a free carnival to celebrate 50 years of Nigerian independence in the park this weekend. [Carnival link](http://www.freelondonlistings.co.uk/events-categories/details/23726-the-nigerian-carnival-2010.html)

Comments

• edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2010
    What makes me mad about about things like this is that as residents immediately affected by park events we are never told, let alone consulted about them.
  • IanIan
    edited 12:53PM
    I'd just like to be invited. Things go on all the time and we never know what's happening. It wouldn't be hard for whoever runs the park events unit to post information here, or have a website to find out about events - free or otherwise. Or is there one already I don't know about?
  • edited 12:53PM
    There is an events piece on Haringey.gov.uk but it's useless. I've just looked and there's only one item listed there.
    That's part of the problem, not knowing what's going on. You can't plan anything if you're not informed.
    What if you'd planned to have visitors at the weekend? The CPZ hours are likely to be extended during the event times. And if you wanted to have a picnic or kickabout with your kids? No chance. Walking with or without your dog? Restricted.
    Then, for me at least, there's the noise. It's OK for the people visiting the park, they can leave when they've had enough. I'm stuck here.
    Haringey should let the local people (especially those affected) of these events at least by leaflet. We don't all read the local papers or surf the web or (in my friends (blind) case) see a small notice stuck up in the park.
    People I've met are surprised when I tell them I've no idea what it is that's going on in the park on any given day. I believe I should know especially as it's my back garden neighbour.
    Just read my Harringay Online newsletter, and one of the headlines said that the Nigerian event was cancelled
    Any ideas whether this is cancelled and if not whether it means the whole park is shut, or just some of it? Had a look when leaving the park last night, couldn't see any notices.
    Finsbury Park blog? ----------------------------------------------- Got this via "Stroud Green Residents Association" on Yahoo Groups: Hi All, This is a notice which is being sent out in the area. Obviously the SGRA list is an example of a long standing use of what is now called "social media"; the intention of this initiative is to see if can find ways in which the work that people have already done on setting up their own local networks can be brought together perhaps with people in other parts of the FinFuture area who would be interested in setting up their own. Here is the message. __Finsbury Park Online - a community "blog" for Finsbury Park?__ Do you want to know what is going on in the Finsbury Park area and have your say? Do you blog and live in the Finsbury Park area? Are you based in Finsbury Park with a website? Are you on Facebook ? Have you set up a community website or are you thinking about it? Are you a member of a community group, and want to find ways of telling people about it? Are you interested in "social media" or local news sites? Do you produce a parish magazine or community newsletter? Are you interested in being a "Citizen Journalist"? If you are interested in any of these things please join our discussion. We want to find out how we could go about "social networking" in the Finsbury Park area. We also want to establish what is there already to see how it could be developed. You can join us by coming to a meeting for interested people at FinSpace, 7 p.m. Tuesday 7 September 2010. Or you could comment on our project blog or post to our email discussion list. FinSpace is at 225 - 229 Seven Sisters Road, London, N4 2DA (if you are not from the area but have a similar project which you have developed or are developing you are most welcome to come along to share ideas) The FinSpace building is a Community Resource Centre managed by FinFuture. We are a local charity and we want to help people, organisations, and businesses in Finsbury Park share news and information. For more information go to our [project blog](http://fponline. posterous. com/) and also join our emailing list by sending an email to:- FPOnline-subscribe@ yahoogroups. co.uk (Finsbury Park Online is a project of the communications committee of FinFuture. The committee reports to the Board of FinFuture. For more information about FinFuture see: (http://www.finfuture.co.uk/>;)
    There is a notice on the park gates saying the event is cancelled, apparently because the organisers 'couldn't guarantee security' or something similar. Presumably they haven't hired enough staff to satisfy the contract with the park authorities.
    @wisteria53 - I got sent that and may start another thread on it, but the very idea of it is sucking the life out of me.
    @andy - sorry to be the cause of pain! However, we in stroudgreen.org have life on our board (from time time, there are one or two posters I'm not sure about) and I don't think that a Finsbury Park based blog could be as successful. Other community blogs either spread too wide (Harringey Online) or are too restricted (SGRA) - although both of these are useful as information sources.