Which is the best pub quiz night in Stroud Green/Finsbury Park?

2»

Comments

• edited 9:38AM
    god i'm such a whingebag, sorry. please someone else do a review too, to counter my negativity. it was their first week and i am being totally unfair. but i will be leaving it quite a while before i try it again.
    If they're aiming for ITV, that would explain the air of mean-spirited rubbishness and the utter lack of satisfaction.
    That doesn't sound like the kind of High-brow pretention I look for in a quiz. May stick to the Swimmer and the Shaftesbury. Although I'm trying the one at the 3 Compasses in Hornsey next week, I'll report back.
    You would absolutely love the quiz at the Prince of Wales in Highgate, it fulfils your criteria exactly. Andy clearly caught it on a lowbrow night (see above) it's usually very pretentiously high brow and requiring all kinds of arcane and obscure knowledge. The Swimmer is my favourite local one but if you want to try a bit further afield the quiz at the (Sir Richard) Steeles in Belsize Park is fun. I think it would be your cup of tea. <http://sirrichardsteele.com/>;
    @arkady how often do you go to the shaftesbury one? whenever we go there are just three teams so we usually win! are you one of the numerous actors? i'm on the complainy team with the germans.
    @miss annie bog off.
    @andy I'm just jealous. We've never assembled a team clever enough to win it.
    @sophie - to be honest I haven't been for nearly a year. Is it still done by the fat Christopher Hitchens wannabe? I loved that guy.
  • edited October 2010
    @arkady no it's changed beyond all recognition. for a while it was an american girl who had a kind of alphabetical theme going on, but she only got to F or G before the pub changed hands and the landlady gave the quiz to one of her mates. there are a big group of acting types who are the quizman's chums and we have a friendly scientists v actors rivalry going on. but as there's always loads of film questions we never live up to our boffin status. the man is very nice and always gives half points and gives in to us when we protest. it's quiet though so you have a good chance of winning the cash (usually £15-25) and a round of drinks. we go every few weeks. we'll probably try the swimmer next, thanks for the tips.
    Only been to the Swimmer quiz once, it was presented by an anarchic Australian - great fun. I may propose a return to the Shaftesbury with my team. Perhaps we should field a StroudGreen.org team.
    Count me in for that.
    @Sophie I was there with GPN. We took in to account your out of order answers and marked accordingly. :)

All I can say is I'm glad it was free!
    I get the feeling the quizmaster has never been to a pub quiz before. The questions were almost as bad as the Kings Head quiz we went to a few years ago, in that they were all 'pop culture'.
    It could get better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still love the Stapleton though, even if we did have to pop accross to the Dairy for food before the quiz (why host the quiz on the one night you don't serve food and on the same night as the Fullback?)
    aww thanks yagamuffin. i knew any right minded quizzee would give us the points (if we actually got any of the questions right). were you sitting by the fire? glad your opinion of it tallies with mine, i did feel quite mean after i wrote that post. and well done for actually eating in a pub - we just got stuff from sainsbury's and ate it ostentatiously during the quiz. i'd definitely be up for joining an sg.org team at the swimmer, if you'd have me. my speciality subjects most definitely don't include pop culture, music or films.
    Er, I wasn't saying that glasses on pumps looks dreadful. It's not the best look ever, but if there's been a sudden rush on a given product (and one can never 100% predict custom, so that happens to even the best pubs *occasionally*) then it is a lot better than no indication at all that a given pint is off. I could take your assurances of a new efficiency at the pub a lot more seriously if you hadn't just made such a slipshod misreading of my complaint.

I can, incidentally, confirm that the Swimmer quiz is top fun, though the only time I've been I was already pissed when I turned up so I may not be too clear on the specifics.
    Has anyone been to the Stapleton quiz lately, what is it like?
    @Jenowl I really enjoy it. Its a mix of current affairs, general quiz questions, a picture round (but not perhaps in the usual sense), audio questions on movie quotes, music questions....and the tin foil round, where you can win bonus points for creating a sculpture on the weekly theme. I believe this is the sole reason why people turn up. Its amazing what can be achieved in a 1ft x 2ft sheet. There's normally around 10 teams, it starts at 8pm, all over by 10-10.30pm, quid a player, and the host is a nice guy. He will give you clues if you ask too, when he comes around the tables. Top prize is dinnner for 4, second some booze, boobie prize some chocolate. Think it must be different to the previous one.
    @Brodiej - that sounds great, thank you for the detailed synopsis!
  • edited September 2011
    I would like to think that I'd win the tin foil round. I once made scale models of The Simpsons from the wrappers on the after dinner mints at a friends wedding.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Didn't you win a stick of sprouts for your efforts Misscara?? Jolly well done.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Railway Tavern (far end of Crouch End Hill) has started a new quiz night, every Wednesday. We went to the first one last night, the quiz was good and it's a friendly pub. £1 per person entry, winning team takes all. Four rounds of ten questions, and a good pace - it started at 9-ish and was over by 11. <br>
  • We are planning on having a W.I. pub quiz team so we might have a look at that one.
  • Yes, I listed that as a potential for the WI too!