The best and simplest spaghetti dish of all. Si accomodi!

edited August 2010 in Local discussion
I typed this dish up for a couple of friends, and thought locals might like to try it, if they don't already know it. Any other simple favourite pasta dishes? Or is this the wrong place for such a thread? Sorry, if so. Enjoy, if not.

SPAGHETTI CON AGLIO OLIO E PEPERONCINO.

Spaghetti coated with oil, a profusion of garlic, and a hint of chilli pepper is one of Italy’s most universally popular dishes. You’ll find variations served in just about every part of the country, sometimes without the hot peppers, or without the usual parsley; at other times the herb of choice might be basil, mint, oregano or rosemary. I adore this version with a healthy amount of both garlic and hot peppers. It always seems to put me and my guests in a cheery, energetic mood. When preparing this dish at home, be sure to watch the garlic carefully as it cooks. Burnt garlic becomes bitter at once, and turns a sublime dish into one that’s thoroughly indigestible. The trick here is to combine the oil, garlic, and hot pepper in an unheated pan and then heat them together, so the garlic does not have a chance to burn. Likewise, adding a touch of oil at the end helps make for a pasta that is evenly and smoothly coated with sauce. Although you will sometimes
see this dish served with cheese, that’s a mistake: the pasta and sauce are already rich enough, and the cheese is just a lot of lily-gilding!

Sea salt
1 lb dried Italian spaghetti
4 fl oz plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 plump fresh garlic cloves, de-germed and minced
0.5 teaspoon of crushed red peppers (hot red pepper flakes), or to taste
Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, snipped with scissors

1. In a large pot, bring 10.5 pints of water to a rolling boil over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of salt and the spaghetti, stirring to prevent the pasta from sticking. Cook until tender, or firm to the bite, or al dente. Drain thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, in an unheated frying pan large enough to hold the pasta later on, combine 4 fl oz of the oil, the garlic, crushed red peppers, and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat the garlic and peppers thoroughly and cook over moderate heat just until the garlic turns golden, but does not burn, 2 to 3 mins.
3. Add the drained pasta to the frying pan, with the sauce. Toss, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, toss thoroughly, and cover. Let rest off the heat for 1 to 2 mins to allow the pasta to absorb the sauce. Add the parsley and toss again. Serve immediately, in shallow soup bowls. (Traditionally, cheese is not served with this dish.

Yield: 6 servings

Wine suggestion: I like a good “daily-drinking” Italian red with this assertive dish, such as Chianti Classico.

From TRATTORIA, by Patricia Wells.

Comments

• edited 6:46AM
    I don't get the point of spaghetti; it doesn't taste appreciably different from other pasta, yet it's massively more inconvenient and messy. A friend of mine's mum used to always make it for new guests, just to make them feel ill at ease and weed out the easily embarrassed.
    Garlic: mince, crush, dice, slice? Discuss.

Also, how does one go about de-germing?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2010
    I would slice the garlic with this dish quite small, rather than crush it. I think it can burn quickly otherwise. I have had this and I like it. The only problem with it, is, you kind of eat a mountain of spaghetti. As there's no sauce you kind of bulk out on the pasta, (and the oil). I think de-germing is taking out the green bit in the garlic if it's there.
  • AliAli
    edited 6:46AM
    Add crunched up dried bread crumbs to it
  • This is bollocks. You can't beat a hot egg. Whisper me for the recipe.

Xxx
    @Philistine
    Scrambled?x
  • By the way, Checkski, I'm back from my month in Indonesia. I got you a flute from a gamelan orchestra. Coffee on Friday?
    Not Fri, Filly. Have left message on Facebook.
    Now stop flirting, you two.
    Yes, I was told off for that on another thread!
    Yes I as very upset about that. Their mockery won't keep us apart miss annie.
    Sorry about the telling off, that was me. I was just envious. Who am I to stand in the way of true internet love? Please carry on.
    Err, no I think that was me. I believe I just wanted "everyone to be happy". The missus is trying to wean me off SG.org and thinks that I want to go out with all of you. However, I have just noticed a pattern with Arkady and Miss Annie who are often on the same thread "together". Maybe another thread is in order "Miss Annie 4 Arkady - discuss". Now I don't want to be a home-wrecker or owt, but some things are just meant to be. Anyway, I've had a long lunch, so just ignore me. On the garlic issue. I've often wanted to phone Saturday Kitchen and ask: does it really matter whether I slice, crush or otherwise infuse the garlic in the recipe. + for the record, I kinda like it when I overcook/fry/roast my garlic.
    I'm in every thread.
    I've brought this thread back up to the top, Jenny, especially for you. And for anyone else who fancies a quick dish of heaven. Despite alleged inauthenticity, I might add a few pine nuts to the pan. They're pretty damned good roasted, as well.

Those of you concerned for my welfare (all one of me) will observe that I'm home again, and I have on every electrical appliance I can lay my hands on, to celebrate the return of POWER (see other thread). Yay, as the kids say! Yay, and yay, and yay again! And now I'll leave you all alone for a bit.