SG Nurseries

edited November 2010 in Local discussion
Can anyone recommend / recommend avoiding a nursery for a 1-year old in SG? Thanks.

Comments

• edited 6:07AM
    I'm not sure how relevant that thread will be, as in my experience a nursery can change in a surprisingly short space of time, and significantly so. Nick_m I would recommend you phone the nurseries and go and have a look for yourself. Have you considered childminders? Phone Is and Harringey and get their up to date lists, might be worth investigating... Good luck to you and your baba!
  • AliAli
    edited 6:07AM
    We were very happy with the Sure Start Centre at Stroud Green School
    Stroud Green doesn't take under 3s, as far as I know. I visited a few recently. North Islington seemed good, but you really do need to be in the catchment area. Bowlers also good, but then it might be a bit of a building site for the next few years since that's where Ashmount school is moving to. Wasn't sold on the Dulas st Asquith nursery - seemed ok, nothing more, and it is expensive. There's a new Kids Unlimited that's opened in the old Arsenal stadium development, right opposite Arsenal tube. Very shiny and clean and manager was lovely. Not that close, but possibly on the way into work, depending on where/if you work... I've opted for a childminder in the end though. You can also find the council lists online.
    Bowlers Community Nursery (just behind totem poles on Crouch Hill) is fab. My son is still there and my daughter went from age 10 months til she started school in September. It will be part of the redevelopment of Ashmount School from early next year, so there will be some disruption (and some of their huge garden will, unfortunately, be a casualty of this), and the current building is a little shabby, but if you're looking for a caring, familial environment with a very stable staff (some have been there 15 yrs +), I'd highly recommend it. One thing, though. Hours are a little shorter than elsewhere 8.30-5.30.....
    Oh, is Ashmount moving to the big derelict complex behind that building? I always wondered how come that was being allowed to lie fallow.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Hadn't really considered the childminders, but will check it out.
    Pooles Park Primary are now hosting a Stay & Play session for under-5s each SATURDAY morning 10:00am while noon.

It's been running now for just a couple of weeks and it was fairly quiet yesterday. It'll be running until Xmas and afterwards only if there's demand. It's free, the facilities are great and a good fallback if the weather's bad.

So, it's a case of use it or lose it.
    Yup, ADGS, that's where Ashmount is going - it's been on the cards for years (six or seven, I think), but demolition is due to start early next year to make way for shiny new school, eco-centre and community parkland. About time something was done with the site as it's a dumping ground and there have recently been burnt out cars and motorbikes along there. Good thing for SG is that it will be closer to us and offer a good, solid alternative to SG Primary School and good thing for the school as the current building is delapidated and too expensive to fix.
    Stroud Green takes two-year-olds - it's a fab nursery called Rainbow. £35 a day for Haringey residents. My daughter just moved up to their pre-school nursery from there.

Bowlers is fab too - the staff are wonderful!
    i don't know if this is too late but Kids Utopia is fantastic. It has an outstanding ofstead and my little girl is there and just jumps with glee when she sees we are nearly there. Avoid Asquith in Dulas rd had a bad experience and would not send any kid there.