Road trip suggestions needed

edited February 2011 in Local discussion
Possibly going to Liverpool although as don't like the Beatles or football it's a bit of an odd choice. Is there anything else there?

Comments

• edited 4:01PM
    Speke Hall is lovely. It is also close to the greatest country in the world.
    Lots of unemployed people. The floating map from the early days of breakfast television used to be at the Albert Dock, not sure if it's still there. They sometimes have a bit of a Titanic exhibition there too and I believe that there might be a Harvey Nichols. You could go on the ferry across the Mersey too.
  • edited February 2011
    My uncle used to live in Wallesey and I loved the New Brighton fun fair. We three kings of Hamilton Square, selling knockers at thruppence a pair, quite fantastic, no elastic, wear them if you dare.
    a nice little train to the antony gormley sculptures on [crosby beach](http://www.sefton.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=6216) are definitely worth a visit. we went on a really grotty day and they still made the beach look amazing though it was covered in jellyfish and i lost my flip flop in some sinking sand.
    me and my mum actually went on holiday especially to liverpool. the tate is great (though fairly small), both the cathedrals are lovely, everything was done up during the capital of culture year so the unemployed people are hidden away and the number of shops is ridiculous. loads of good pubs too.
    Thank you all. I had forgotten about the floating map and now have an overwhelming desire to jump on it.
  • edited February 2011
    Loads of things! I lived there for 3 years. The cathedrals are worth visiting (if you like that sort of thing), the Albert Dock area (as already recommended), the architecture of the University (something from every decade of the 20th century! Can you tell that for my Art History subsidiary we went on an architectural field trip to our own campus?), the bars around Bold/Slater Streets, the Walker, the Ferry Cross the Mersey, Sefton Park (Peter Pan and Palmhouse)... It's great.
    Do they still call St. Patrick's Paddy's Wigwam?
    They certainly did 1996-99. Went on an Art History trip there too. Can't comment on these days, alas; sadly, I have been away for some time.
    They have this place, which is the best place to buy classic men's footwear and clothing (if you are into that sort of thing). My friends in the US have them sent over.

http://www.beatwear.co.uk/index.html
    If you need somewhere to stay I would definitely recommend <a href="http://www.liverpoolcitycentreapartment.co.uk/">this place</a>; we spent a couple of nights there last October. Really lovely apartment let out by the owner (who is also lovely), very central, and good value.
    Of you're driving up then pop into Port Sunlight and the Lever gallery. It's lovely.
    Liverpool's a complete rip-off for hotels if Liverpool or Everton are playing at home ...

One thing worth seeing is the Williamson Tunnels - there's a weblink on the internet somewhere. I went on a guided tour, the history of it all is pretty interesting.
    St Georges Hall Anglican Cathedral The Smithdown 10 (10 pubs from the student halls to the university, followed off by being mugged...) A pint of Red Erik followed by a can of Faxe at Kellys dispensary The toilets in the Philarmonic DIning Rooms on the corner of Hardman and Hope Street. An architectural tour of the graces and the business district, the empire paid for some pretty cool architecture. Hairy records The Jacaranda Le Bateau Parkgate on the Wirral
    Thanks for the suggestions. Just got back and loved it! The best bit was the yellow duck marine cos they let me drive it!!!! Its one of those amphibious bus things and I got it under a bridge without sinking it.
    Is Le Bateau still there? I went virtually every Saturday night during the late 90s...
    Don't know. I was there with a kid so clubbing was limited
    Le Bateau was certainly operational up until a couple of years ago, I'd see club listings for it fairly often. Whether it has survived the most recent run of venue deaths, I couldn't say.
    You must visit Derby Road in Bootle to see where Quadrant Park used to stand