Book Group Thursday 24th March 2011 Book for discussion Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

The next book club meeting will be at 8pm on Thursday 24th March 2011 at the Old Dairy and we'll be discussing Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and also an added option of poetry.

Published in 2003 the novel is about hubris and humans playing god and is one of Atwood less well known novels but is an example of her outrageous imagination.

Thanks to Jenny the people who came last week were able to get a free copy of Seamus Heaney's New Selected Poems 1966-1987 therefore we have decided as an option to choice a poem in this selection that you like and have a discussion about it at our next meeting. This is optional so no need to worry if the book is all you can manage.

There are second hand copies on Amazon and a few copies in both Haringey and Islington Libraries of both books.

New members welcome!
So see you there!!

Comments

• edited 11:05PM
    Hi chaps Sorry I missed the last book club, I was at work 'til quite late and just couldn't get there in time. Look forward to seeing you soon. Miss A
    Love the ironic hi chaps, miss annie :) Have already got a copy, downloaded it at the weekend to my brand new kindle (well £50 secondhand old kindle)! Feel very organised, now I just need to start reading it!
    This book is awesome - really enjoying it! So totally not what I was expecting but brilliant.
    I work at the dairy and really love Atwood, this book is one of my faves so will definitely be popping in and out!
    Hello!

Looking forward to book group tomorrow and seeing you all. I loved the book and I am hooked on Atwood now as Oryx and Crake was the first book I have read of hers.
  • edited March 2011
    Who would name their child Oryx? Or Crake for that matter? Is this book mostly about them getting teased at school?
    "Who would name their child Oryx?" asked Choaspes, as he added another coat of deep black bitumen to his pot and his kettle.
    Hello!

I live on roughly 15 seconds away from the old dairy and am desperate to join in with this book club...Obviously I've missed this one but id love to pop along to the next one...

Look forward to meeting you all :-)
  • edited March 2011
    Looking forward to tonight! As always, everyone is welcome!