Mangos

edited March 2011 in General chat
Is it mango season? I can’t eat enough of them, they are so sweet and tasty. I have to buy 2 every time I walk up Stroud Green Road, which is at least twice a day so that means I am eating on average 4 mango’s each day.
They are fruit, fruit is good for you, fruit never hurt anyone did it?

Comments

• edited 12:44AM
    too many mangoes can cause upset stomachs. in pakistan apparently they eat them with glasses of milk to counteract this.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I couldn't get enough of mangos a couple of years ago. I started to get IBS and saw my gp. He gave me some fibre drinks which nearly made me die and then I realised that mangos are very fibrous and two a day wasn't a good idea. Stopped eating them and I was fine again fancy that. Fruit- not always good!
    I know nothing about Mangos, I know a little bit about Mr Magoo if it helps?
    I have seen boxes of them being sold at knock down price in the middle of Wood Green High Road. Mango kulfi & Lassi at the Bhel Poori House Drummond Street [ Tottenham Court Road] never disappoints .
    @ laurel. Poor You, the fibre drinks work really well, but you have to drink lots of water. If you don't, then you will experience major abdominal discomfort too. Hope that you are okay now
    the dried mangoes they do at tesco are freaking amazing but they hardly ever seem to have them in the SGR branch and never ever have them at the branch by my work.
  • valval
    edited 12:44AM
    Those sweet, tasty Pakistani honey mangoes only come into our shops at this time of year. They seem less fibrous than others. Only buy ones with a smooth skin. I bought six perfect ones in a box at Walthamstow market for £3.50. Those I bought in SGR were more expensive, wrinkled and past their best.
    Does the fibre in mango have the same purgative effect if you turn it into a mango lassi?
    Anyone know where you can get Alphonso mangoes on sgr? I had one (beautifully packaged, from Pakistan I believe) on Sunday night...
    On the way back from a gig in camden a few years ago we reached the corner of Parkway outside the tube and spied a box of veg by the side of the road. Blow me if it wasn't avocados, so we grabbed as many as we could. We were quite drunk, but they seemed perfect passable and avocados have thick skins anyway. Then we lifted the box and underneath there was another one full of... mangoes! We then stuffed as many of these into our jackets as we could. On the bus on the way home to FP we doled a few of them out to fellow passengers. I've never felt so popular and never seen so many people so happy, just to receive a mango or avocado. It was an excellent bus journey home. We ate the remainder later and they were perfectly ripe and unadulterated. Very strange that they would be left there.
    they wuz just sittin' there your 'onour.
    Yesterday there were boxes of interesting looking Pakistani ones at the Nags Head . Myself I am addicted to Sharon fruit but the price is prohibitive.
    When I was in recovering from malaria in Milan, I had a perfectly ripe persimmon which was the sweetest thing I have ever tasted.
    Do they sell green mangos anywhere on SGR?
    They sell them at the Stroud Green Food Store next to Kashmir Butchers
    Just eaten a beautiful Pakistani mango .....strangely our local Tesco's selling box of 6 for £5 which in the greater scheme of events is reasonable considering didn't have to travel far for them and OMG they are so delicious. If you are a fruit lover then whip in quick as they are just perfect for eating right now.
    They are selling Pakistani mangos in Londis too.
    @julieshrive Had an awful experience with my first 'taste' of Sharon fruit many years ago. It is really hard to explain.
    I can only describe it as an intense sensation of drying up in the mouth,really astringent. Have not tried one since. The fruit was a lovely orange colour, but I have always wondered whether it was ripe? What do I look for.
    They obviously weren't ripe ie: soft as a baby's bottom.