Tennis Courts

edited April 2011 in General chat
Hi

I was hoping someone could help me in regards to tennis courts in the local area?

I would really like to play tennis but I find it very hard to get a court at islington tennis centre just off Cali Rd and it's rather expensive too £10 for outdoor and £20 for indoor.

Can anyone recommend anywhere else in the area indoor or outdoor? Don't mind paying a membership fee if it helps booking a court.

Does anyone use Finsbury park or Highbury Fields courts? are there others?

Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Also in the park of wray crescent there's a table tennis table which I've never seen being used and I love playing that too but have no one to play with :(

Comments

• edited 7:45PM
    Finsbury Park courts are basic and busy but free. The best courts in the area are up on the wood green end of White Hart Lane (so not really in the area...but easily accesible by, bus, bike, car). You pay 2 or 3 quid an hour and they are very good, flood lit and most importantly you can book them which means you don't schlep all the way there and wait around for ages. There are also courts at Chestnuts Park.

There is a very good local league which will put you in touch with other players and recommend courts etc, just google 'haringey tennis + sally kinnes'.
    SG table tennis tournament one weekend?
    N4Matt - good name!
    Thanks for the post.
    I cycle most places so getting anywhere is fine. I'll check out the courts on White Hart Lane & Chestnuts Park. cheers.

Miss Annie - SG table tennis tournament sounds great! we should organise one or just have a friendly knock about :)
    I play occasionally in Muswell Hill at the <a href="http://www.muswellhilltennis.com/" target="_blank">Methodist Tennis Club</a>, nice courts but you do need to be a member. There also used to be some nice courts at stationers park, but I haven't been there in a while.

Is there any where in SG where you can play table tennis??
    Olly - Do you know how much membership is?

There's a table tennis table in Wray Crescent park which is outside and free.

Sobell centre does table tennis - http://www.aquaterra.org/sobell-leisure-centre/table-tennis
  • edited April 2011
    @djmattyoung <a href="http://www.muswellhilltennis.com/membership/" target="_blank">membership</a> - £170 a year, which is not bad if you play regularly, the clubs open all year round. They've got a few teams for different ability levels that play in local leagues. I started going to a back to tennis for adults class on Saturdays.

Might try the Sobell centre, I've played outdoor tt and it's not quite the same!
    I've used the good but busy courts in Fin Park, and the less good but less busy courts off Park Road (boundary between Crouch End and Ally Pally way, located in the park)

Table tennis table at Wray Cres? How exciting!
    The park keeper keeps the bat and ball safely tucked away in his office, just ask him and he will give it to you. My girls love playing table tennis there.
    And there are a few tennis courts in stationers park, near Weston park primary school, and I'm sure there is no charge or you could go to priory park where there are quite a few tennis courts
    I meant Priory Road and Priory Park, not Park Road (idiot!). Lots of not-so-good courts, but usable.
    There are some courts adjoining the The Hornsey Club, where I used to play cricket many moons ago. <http://www.thehornseyclub.com/Hornsey_tennis_home_page.html>; Its just off Park Road in Crouch End, so just a W7 away.
    I used to play on public courts and in Islington Market Road, but then I got introduced to Coolhurst Club in Crouch End. OK you have to pay to join up, but it has fantastic facilities (8 hard courts, 3 carpet courts and 3 grass courts), a great bar and catering facilities open all day, is really friendly. There's a club period every weekend where you are mixed in to play doubles, and a singles ladder to meet new opponents. Or you can just go along with a friend and play. In the winter there is a balloon over 2 hard courts so you can play in bad weather. There's squash as well, that's not my game, but the squash players swear the facilities are the best around.
    Have a look at their site www.coolhurst.co.uk