Cafe Mexicali

124»

Comments

• edited 6:01AM
    Or do a Groupon/Living Social/KGB Deals discount mebbe.
    We finally got around to trying Mexicali this evening and probably won't going back too soon.

Went with the other half and number two daughter, who is home for the w/e. 2 cocktails; 2 beers; 3 glasses of pretty rough plonk; 3 starters and 3 mains = a staggering £85! It felt just like having been ripped of in the West End.

The food was very plain and unexciting, mostly tepid and not very well presented - though probably what I ought to have expected in a Tex-Mex. In my experience they don't have much to offer.

They could get rid of half the front of house staff - there were 10 of them for 25 customers, so we were constantly being hovered over and things were whisked away before they'd been finished (particularly the last inch in my very expensive bottle of beer!) - hardly relaxing.

Probably best value if you've had a couple before going, stick to a main course each and a bottle of the cheapest plonk.

I wish them well, but there are better offerings on SGR.
  • edited December 2017
    I was thinking that it sounded about right too, especially if cocktails were in the mix and you were ordering wine by the glass.
    i went on Friday after doing over 100 miles on the bike. i thought it was very good. Very polite, helpful and happy staff. They're intersted in your business. The portions were large. I had a starter, enchiladas and a couple of beers. I was famished, but I couldn't finish it all. I have to say, my heart dropped after I left and walked past a completely empty Yemek. They'll be out before the summer at this rate.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @sincers, after doing 100 miles on your bike I hope Mexicali put you on a table a good way from everyone else.
    I had showered before going.
    I had a meal there last week and I'm with Happyhenry on the pricing front. I had those hand-sized pancakes that you fill yourself and went for a 'combo' of prawns and veg for £12 (which I find steep, even though I was aware of it) and was served something like a 1:4 prawn:veg ratio that left me rather peckish afterwards. That plus a teeny Sol for £4 plus added service charge. I can't comment on the quality as I have Mexican food about once every three years and am not a great foodie anyway. I saw the menu of a similarly laid out Tex-Mex place in Hoxton (off Great Eastern Street opposite Curtain Road) last week and there the prices for the same were around the £8/£9 mark. Is it making the rounds that there's a clientele in SG for cheekily priced outlets? I also find it a bit obtrusive how they jump at everyone who stops to take a look at the menu. For me less would be more in that respect (or replacing the girls with some Irish binman types).
    Yemek was shut last night, but then so was Season. Which seemed like an odd response to a bank holiday, but the streets were pretty much deserted, here and in the West End. Also shut, more worryingly, was the Gillespie Park extension from the Seven Sisters Road bridge - until further notice, and due to unforeseen circumstances. Anyone know what's going on there?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So Andy was right, except it wasn't over the coffee!
  • edited May 2011
    I agree that all hospitality-related threads on this site are highly predictable and boring, in fact most threads where something is being discussed: there will be pros, cons, positions somewhere in the middle, more and less original/aggressive posts etc., and at some point someone will be accused of being like Hitler/fascist/whatever. But that shouldn't make us switch to accepting one kind of view only, should it?
    Marquis - surely that's true of most online discussion threads on any site and any topic?
    I wouldn't argue that a second. I was just responding to miss annie's reference to Andy's post that 'we lot' would at some point turn. Note that I personally didn't 'turn' but only formed my opinion once I'd been there. I chose to post it because it differed from what I'd read in most previous posts and found it (if only partly, in the context) relevant. And as you rightly say it's a feature of any online forum that people say all sorts of things!