Islington Giving

edited April 2011 in Local discussion
Hi all

Stroud Green adoptee and lurker on this site for a couple of years now, I'm working on a brill charity project at the moment called Islington Giving which is about tackling poverty in Islington (obviously Stroud Green is right on the border of Islington and Haringey but hopefully this is still of interest to people.). That might sound a bit strange given its leafy and wealthy reputation (extending even to Tollington if Boulangerie Bon Matin is anything to go by) but Islington has the second highest levels of child poverty in the whole of England and has some of the richest and poorest people in the country living side by side but living completely parallel lives.

Basically I thought I would post here to let you know what we're doing (website - www.islingtongiving.org.uk) but also because I know that there are plenty of restaurant owners who hang around on here and we are trying to expand a campaign called 'a little tip.' This is where a voluntary £1 contribution is added onto the bill of a table at the end of their meal, every penny of which we will then use to invest in young people, tackle poverty and confront isolation.

So any restaurants interested, check out our info here: http://www.islingtongiving.org.uk/website/help/653-2 I'd be more than happy to come and speak to anyone interested.

For the rest of you, it would be interesting to know if this is something that you think is a good idea and if it would appeal to you (crosses fingers and prays people will be kind to a newbie). If you're interested in being involved in the campaign get in touch as we really want this to be a campaign for and by local people.

Thanks
Jacqui

Comments

• edited 12:01AM
    A very good idea. Good luck.
    @arkady Thanks very much!
    Hows about Time Out & Shelter also late great Anita Roddick - Body Shop had connection with the Big Issue . The Supermarkets too.....The Crouch End Waitrose is already one of their best. Most supermarkets support local charities ....Wasn't there a programme[ new series] on ITV this week tuesday home is Where Heart is?
    I think this is a great idea !

Very best of luck.
  • KazKaz
    edited 12:01AM
    Great idea! Very similar to Streetsmart that runs (used to run?) around X-mas time). Get the restaurants on board and you are on to a winner, very, very few people will refuse to give an extra pound.
    Thanks so much for your replies,and for the interest which is fab (excuse the very long delay in getting back)

@Kaz it is a bit like Streetsmart, we had a chat with them to let them know and we agreed not to run over Xmas so that we don't clash with them.

Getting restaurants on board is a bit of a challenge at the moment (we're a really small team, helped out by fab volunteers) so if you have any ideas/ you'd like to help us, do get in touch.

We also have lots of other great ways that people can get involved and have now raised enough to be open for grants that tackle isolation and for individuals looking to set up a project to tackle poverty, check out our website www.islingtongiving.org.uk or get in touch for more info.

Ta
    Jacqui