Second hand record shops

edited April 2011 in Local discussion
Anyone got any good tips for second hand record shops within an easy wander of Stroud Green?

I've been hunting for a decent one with a good selection for many years now, and while there's always the charity lucky dip, I've yet to come across a proper second hand record shop where you may strike lucky with a random gem, or find what you want at a decent price.

Comments

• edited 7:06AM
    There's a pretty good one in Crouch End, forget the name but it's just opposite the converted church if you wander there along Crouch Hill. Their Oxfam bookshop also has a pretty good music selection, way ahead of the normal charity shop run.
    In the other direction, I believe Haggle Vinyl on Essex Road is meant to be good.
  • IanIan
    edited 7:06AM
    [Flashback Records](http://flashback.co.uk/) on Crouch Hill, also a bigger shop on the Essex Road - Islington end.
    There's a couple of decent ones on Notting Hill Gate, not local but it's where I work.

Probably the best thing on what must be the most generic high st in the world..
    Have never been bowled over by the one in Crouch End and Oxfam books and music I often find too pricey. I'll give both in Crouch End another shot.

The bigger Flashback may be promising.
    Flash Back is pretty crap.

Music & Video Exchange in Camden, Notting Hill and Berwick Street are very good. As are Reckless Records.

The best in the whole of London is Alan's in East Finchley!!
    Oh, also try Audio Gold opposite the Victoria Stakes, they have a few good bits from time to time.
    Alan's in East Finchley is really good.

There's also one down broadway market in shoreditch which is good but the name escapes me...

sadly so many record shops have gone...

Was Flashback on essex road in that yell.com ad?
    I really like the Flashback on Crouch Hill - not a massive selection, but I always seem to find something I like, and it's reasonably priced. I get the impression whoever chooses which records go into the racks probably has pretty similar taste to me mind...
    Haggle is great, you can lose hours in there. Bloke that runs it is a right old mentalist.
  • edited April 2011
    Is that second hand cd and vinyl store (can't remember its name and it's been the best part of ten years since I was there) still open in Holloway, just off Camden road near the prison?

I think there will always be a niche market for vinyl and cds shops, especially second hand ones as they have an auratic and physical quality mp3s don't have. And online streaming sites like spotify are beginning to greatly restrict free use.
    That one looked dead last time I went past it, alas. Shame, in that I was rather fond of it, but given I'd not been in years, I could see how it happened.