Movers

edited April 2011 in Local discussion
Does anybody have any recomendations regarding a decent removal firm (or those to avoid) - it looks like I may need to organise a move with 10 days notice so don't even know if this is possible! Only moving within Stroud Green!

Comments

• edited 11:08AM
    Can't you hire a big, big van and DIY? We (3 of us) managed to move the contents of a 2 bed and attic around the corner in a day using a big van hired from a place on Holloway Road.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Same here, can't drive and have quite a lot of stuff - so thought professionals would be the better option having putting friends through it a few times before!
    I used Alexanders after reading a recommendation on here. I thought it was expensive and haggled a bit, and got it cheaper but then felt bad when I realised how much work there was. I packed a flat myself over a weekend with some help from friends, but probably wouldn't have managed the carrying it into a van and unloading as well. It all seems to take a lot longer than you think. The professionals are really good at dismantling and moving furniture. All you have to do is make tea on the day and take you're own little valuable things in the car yourself.. I'd recommend it.
    Mover Dave 07792733491 and Mover Steve 07971373703 did my last move and have moved lots of my friends. Really reasonable, totally reliable and will dismantle and put furniture back together for you. No idea what their firm is actually called we all just call them Mover Dave and Mover Steve.
    Incidentally, I have also used friends and done DIY but now have used movers will never go back to the old ways again. It isn't that much dearer and is a hell of a lot easier.
    My wife and I moved 3 weeks ago from SG to St Albans, and used Scott's Removals in doing so. The 2 movers were really good, using a fair bit of genius / experience in getting some of our furniture out of old place and into new. We moved from a 1 bed and it cost us about £650 (not including their packing service - we did our own).
    thanks all .. shall get on the case. Had one quote and seems completely reasonably and not much in it from van hire and the cost of feeding and watering helpers after!!
    I've also used Scott's twice before. They were very good.
    I recently hired Mover Dave and Mover Steve to move me from Stroud Green to Bristol after having read about them in this thread, and they were every bit as good as described. They showed up when they said they would, both to quote a price and for the move itself. They loaded and unloaded efficiently. The price was entirely reasonable, and when things went slightly pear-shaped with the (horrible!) estate agents in Bristol, Dave and Steve were even willing to change my move to two days later than originally scheduled to give me time to go to Bristol and run amok in a tank--er, no, of course I mean to work things out in a calm and civilised way.
    Thanks for the Mover Dave 07792733491 and Mover Steve 07971373703 recommendations I found on this site. I moved at the weekend, albeit only a few streets away, but I had loads of boxes and heavy awkward furniture.
    Dave and Keiron turned up as stated and did all the lifting from my first floor flat into my new one without a moan. I would totally use them again and I'm so glad for the recommendation, cheers StroudGreeners
  • IanIan
    edited 11:08AM
    Yes, we had an excellent mover Dave and mover Steve experience thanks to recommendations here with a three piece we needed to sen across London. Sensible enough to work out their plan before setting to the task, friendly and on time.
    Oh great! I am glad Mover Steve and Mover Dave are getting work from this forum. They are excellent and they are a local business as well.
  • Another +1 for Dave and Steve.  Very efficient, very professional, very friendly.  Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.