Book club SUNDAY 17TH JULY!! 8pm!! At the STAPLETON!!! Something to Tell You by Hanif Kureishi

edited April 2013 in StroudGreen Book Club
Further to Charlo's post, the next book will be [Something to Tell You by Hanif Kureishi](http://www.amazon.co.uk/Something-Tell-You-Hanif-Kureishi/dp/0571238769/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305562764&sr=8-1). This book has been suggested by new member missthing, who was very enthusiastic about it! We will meet on **Sunday 17th July** (note the second change of date!) at 8pm in **The Stapleton**. Charlo has also suggested that for the next book we could do [The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson](http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finkler-Question-Howard-Jacobson/dp/1408809931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305562987&sr=1-1), which won the 2010 Booker Prize and has just come out in paperback. Looking forward to seeing lots of new, old and lapsed members!

Comments

• edited 12:20AM
    Book looks great and I can make it on that date! See you then Donna
    Sorry I missed the last book group. I can't do this one as go to Tai Chi on Mondays. Are we able to change it to Wednesday 22nd June or Thursday 23rd? Sorry for being a pain. If this is not possible not to worry I have the book so will add my comments on here. Thanks!
    Hi, I can do Weds 22nd but not Thurs 23rd.
    i can now do weds 22nd too, but not thurs 23rd.
    I can't do Wednesdays at all (unless it falls in school holidays) because of Brownies. Any other day is fine for me.
    Should we go for a different week?
    I can do Wednesday and Thursday the week after.
    I can do Thursday 30th too. Seems a long way away but it is quite a fat book...
    I can make that day too.
    That works for me!
    Great! Sophie can you change the date then to the 30th June. Thanks. Gives us abit more time to read it.
    yes it's been slow going so far! interesting though...
    ARGH i just emailed missthing who originally suggested the book and she isn't able to do thursdays at all. what to do?!
    Could we try Sundays?! If we stick to Mondays to Thursdays perhaps we need to start rotating the day of the meeting each month in order to make it fairer as we know that several of us are unable to make a specific night on a regular basis... In terms of what to do this time, it seems a shame to meet on a day that the person who chose the book can't do!
  • edited June 2011
    Am I right in thinking: Angela - can't do Mondays Charlo - from memory, can't do Tuesdays(?) Miss Annie - can't do Wednesdays MissThing - can't do Thursdays I can do any day... ;) Happy to meet on Sunday. The frustrating thing is to rearrange the date around people who then don't come. Perhaps we should pick a day that we do it every month, like the last Sunday of every month, and just stick to that?
    Yes, I work every other Tuesday evening and I think Sophie can't make Tuesdays either. I'd be in favour of going for the same Sunday evening every month - it would make things much easier. Can people do Sundays?
  • edited June 2011
    i can do sundays, apart from the next two. 3rd of july?
    I can do the 3rd July. Shall we do it in the afternoon or evening if going for a Sunday?
    missthing can do the 3rd too.
  • edited June 2011
    I can't do 3rd July at all unfortunately. Perhaps you should go ahead without me though as it's been difficult to find a day! I can't do the following Sunday either but can do the other Sundays in July. I would be happy with an afternoon or evening on a Sunday generally. Perhaps early evenings would be good?
    Sunday 10th July?! I am finding the book so utterly shit that I don't even know if I'll reach the halfway threshold that I feel is acceptable before being able to talk about it. I've been reading it for a month now and every time I pick it up I throw it back across the room ten minutes later. So don't worry about organising the date around me.
    I can't do 10th July but could do Sunday 17th, 24th or 31st. I'd really like to come along but then again I haven't started the book yet!

It would be good to get the date sorted soon!
    oops sorry charlo, didn't read your previous post properly. can anyone not do sunday 17th july?
    I can do the 17th July.
    I can do 17th!
    Sophie I'm 100% with you on this one
    This is confusing. Will the book Something to Tell You be talked about on Thursday 30th June and if not when is it then? I would really love to come along, for the first time. I have made a few attempts earlier and actually read the books but there was always some work keeping me home at the particular day.
    Sunday 17th, let's do it.
  • edited June 2011
    Great, looking forward to it!
    ah sorry youre not enjoying the book Sophie :-(

Sunday 17th is perfect for me!