Fence issues - help needed

edited May 2011 in Local discussion
Hi all,
I am a long time reader of this site and now find myself needing your help and advice :-)
Our garden fence has become the target of youths, who seem to think it is fun to make holes in it by kicking and pulling on the wood until large holes appear. They seem to do this to and from their houses, which are down a side road with our garden on one side. We are looking for either someone to help us replace the fence panels and trellis on top and maybe put up a chainlink fence inside to stop anyone who does damage the wood from getting in. Or other, stronger options. Any thoughts? Or any thoughts on how to stop this happening again? Really appreciate this. Thanks.

Comments

• edited 8:15AM
    Hi MGJoey - before you repair the fence (perhaps only to have it vandalised again) could it be worth talking to the youths' parents about their behaviour? It might get them to stop, especially if the parents think they might be getting fence repair bills in future.
    Hi and thanks for replying. The problem is that we aren't sure exactly where they live. I also have to admit to worrying that if their children are like that, then they might not be the sort of parents who would listen to a reasonable discussion... I'm not great at confrontations and would hate to escalate it further.
    Start with a fake CCTV camera overlooking the fence.
    Thanks Arkady - will look into it!

Do you think that putting a letter through all doors, explaining what has happened and appealing to them as parents/neighbours to stop the targetting/vandalism might help? Just trying out different ideas here...
    Do you have a rough idea of where they live?
    Yes, as they ran off down the side road (our garden backs onto this) and there are a few houses/flats down there. Would drop the letter into those, not all houses in the area (just read my post again...).
    Gotcha. Yeah I probably would do that. If I had kids I’d use it as an opportunity for a lesson about doasyouwouldbedoneby, whether I thought it was them or not. But you do risk provoking some good old knee-jerk from defensive parents who are certain their precious angels would never dream of such an act, so I’d word the letter nicely. Or, lay an ambush and give ‘em some wrath of god stuff.
    Thanks - wasn't sure whether it was a good idea or not. Will put something together and discuss with other half, see what his thoughts are. The ambush is tempting, but sadly I don't think I'm great at *wrath*...
    On another note, any recommendation of good fence people? To make it look nice again :-)
    I like the letter, then, if no result, call the police.
    Have you thought about talking to someone from the Stroud Green Safer Neighbourhoods team? I've heard they're pretty good at dealing with lower level nuisance stuff like this that you wouldn't want to go directly to the police about.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi Eliz - have already had them round after the first damage was done. They were great and I have let them know that it has happened twice more. Hopefully they will have some advice.

Ali - will consider ordering one!

Tosscat - thanks for the vote re the letter... will try it and see.

Really appreciate all the support - thank you.
    How about putting some improvised <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheval_de_frise">chevaux-de-frise</a> or similar behind the fence to give the little tossers a more concrete lesson?
    Don't tempt me... my brother was coming up with all sorts of cunning plans involving traps and they do appeal! But, as an up-date, we actually spoke with them last night. They were bashing our fence again with a football, we asked them to stop and they retreated to a house down the road. We went round to check the damage and then went to chat with them, not being angry or anything just politely asking them to stop damaging it. Their mother also popped out to see what was happening and we explained to her too. Fingers crossed it might be the end of it... I guess they are bored, and thought it was fun, but it was horrible for us. Just hoping this might be the end to it now...