Oiley car scam!

edited June 2011 in Local discussion
This afternoon I was extolling the virtues of my old car when a man started to point at the bonnet of the afore mentioned. I got out and saw oil pouring out of the bonnet and the man suggesting that I pull over. I drove off and dropped my passenger at Tesco and then off directly to my mechanic to try and save the old banger. On opening the bonnet I discovered, much to my relief, that the oil had been poured by the dodgy geezer as I got out of the car. He was around 50, scruffy and of Romanian or Turkish appearance. Watch out, I have not been the first!

Comments

• edited 10:25AM
    Is this a scam known to the local police? It makes you wonder if anyone has reported it.
    I...I don't understand why someone would do this..? Devilment?
    I don't understand. What was he trying to do? Steal your car?
    I think the scam is that he offers to repair the car and returns it to you all shiney and you give him wedge. Only guessing.
    'Devilment' is an excellent word and should be used more often.
    I was just wondering Taff, why you identified your scamster as Romanian or Turkish? It made it no easier to identify the scamster, and unless you heard them speaking an identifiable language, there would be no reason to pick those particular nationalities out of so many; so why out of all the potential ethnicities did you choose those two?

??
    Probably because he looked and sounded Romanian or Turkish, Doug, in just the same way as someone else might have looked Spanish or Italian. I don't get it.
    It’s a curious selection though. Why not Bulgarian, the country that sits in between? And both Romanians and Turks can look paler than a winter Scot or quite swarthy, they have no strong ethnic markers. I’d say it was fairly meaningless descriptively.
    Taffbach - i can picture exactly the "look" of the person you're trying to describe. I'm sure Bulgarians won't feel too aggrieved about being left out of the potential countries associated with the scam. A rather large number of SG'rs would be rubbish contestants on Cathphrase. Roy Walker would ask "say what you see" and then you'd get bland politically correct responses and no-one would win anything. I however would take home the car and the speedboat.
    You are thiniking of the prizes you could win on Bullseye... Catchphrase was much better and RW over JB anyday but the most you ever won on carchphrase was a holiday! And only ever to Spain or Miami never to Turkey or Romania.