Entertainment for teenagers?

gemgem
edited June 2011 in General chat
A good friend of mine is coming next week to stay with me for about 3 weeks. She is coming with her son who is 17. I am completely out of touch with teenage entertainment. Are there any events in the area (or even in town) that would entertain a 17 year old?
Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• IanIan
    edited 8:23AM
    If only we had a Laser Quest ...
  • edited 8:23AM
    Bowling? A 17 year old boy will have no interest in doing anything with adults. take him to a big branch of HMV or the Apple Store. The Imperial War Museum is pretty good for boys.
    Give him an Oyster card and an A-Z and tell him to amuse himself.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Camden Market Skateboarding at Cantelowes Park If there's anything good on: the i-Max cinema at Waterloo
    What's wrong with sticking him in front of the Internet and popping out to the pub?
    Can you ask your friend what sorts of things her son likes? Not every teenager is into Laser Quest and skateboarding. I used to mentor a 14-year-old boy from Peckham. We went to the theatre.

Find out what he likes, and we can give you more specific recommendations.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gemgem
    <body>
    Thank you for all the suggestions, some very good ones there, I will definitely recommend him some of those. <br />
    Misscara, yes you are right, 3 weeks is a long time and I was more after activities where the boy can meet others to hang out with, so that I don’t have to think on a daily basis what to suggest for the next day... meeting up with local teenagers would definitely be good. He is a very good boy, that’s why his mum couldn’t say “no” when he asked to come to London with her ☺.<br />
    @ r_c Good idea, theatre for sure... but that would probably be an occasion for all of us... Yes, I should find out what he is into, I’ve just tried calling them, but no luck... I will post more info as soon as I get it.</br>
    Thanks again. I really appreciate your contributions.
    </body>
    </html>
    does he skate? theres finsbury, clissold, and camden road. thats definately 3 weeks of fun.
    If he's a geek, there are lots of really neat little museums around town, like the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons. Most are very cheap or even free. And he can go on his own.
  • gemgem
    He is into science big time, so the Hunterian Museum is a brilliant idea... I would never think of this. Thanks.
  • edited June 2011
    Send him for an day on the East London line. He can check out the wonderful Geffrye Museum in Hoxton, the Whitechapel Gallery, explore the riverside at Wapping and Rotherhithe, take in the views from Crystal Palace and - if he's lucky - lose his virginity in Shoreditch on the way home.
  • gemgem
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Arkady, this idea sounds great! I’ll pass it on, even your last recommendation &#9786.
  • gemgem
    I’ve managed to get more info.
    The boy plays the guitar well and loves rock music. He is also very much into sport - mainly basketball and swimming. It’s not really so much about doing the sport during these 3 weeks, I’m sure he could live without it while here, but making friends with people of similar age and interests would be brilliant...
    Are there any basketball or swimming clubs for teenagers in the area?
  • gemgem
    More info - he also plays tennis.
    Are the tennis courts in Finsbury Park used on a first-come-first-serve basis or they have to be pre-booked? If the latter, how can one get to place a booking? Anybody knows?
    As long as he doesn't start hanging around with those ruffians from Crouch Hilll Court
    other ruffians are available
    Where so?
    If he is at the Geffrye, make it on a Friday when they have one of the free lunchtime concerts at the LSO St Luke's. They're always nice.
    Silver Bullet?
  • gemgem
    @miss annie, thanks for the links, I normally search the previous threads to avoid repetition, but I'm a new member and there are so many
    threads &#9786... thanks very much for pointing me to the relevant ones, I appreciate.

@tosscat, this is a great idea, thanks!

@Sevlow, he is not that kind of a boy, &#8756 no worries
    In view of the robust discussion on another recent thread, are there any parents here who don't let their teenagers out in the evening? Ours certainly do go out with friends, but they are careful where they go & who they mix with and we have never experienced problems. On the other hand a lovely 17-year-old we know has just been beaten to a pulp in Weston Park, probably because he didn't hand over his iPod on demand.