Hanley road closed off from The Stroud Green Junction at present

edited June 2011 in Local discussion
Local trouble

Comments

• edited 2:09AM
    I walked past the cordon earlier. Heard gunfire was reported, but no victim.
    It was a broken down bus! Jeez!
  • Re-posted from another discussion:

The local press are reporting the Police saying the suggestions of a shooting were a false alarm. I'll try to confirm.

There is a hastily arranged meeting on the Andover estate tonight to brief local residents on recent events and the Police and Council's response. If people can't make this would it be helpful to arrange another meeting in the Tollington area?

The recent problems have been caused by a conflict between a group of young people in Islington (to call them a gang would be an exaggeration) and a gang from outside the borough.

There has been a lot of extra Police activity in the area as a result and the Council youth workers have spent a lot of time on the Crouch Hall Court estate and Wray Crescent. A lot of other work to solve these problems is going on as well that I can't go into detail about.

This work started after a spate of incidents two months to six weeks ago. This had then gone quiet for about three weeks and so we were hoping the worst was veer. However, in the last week things have kicked off again and even more Police and Council resources will be put in place to try to calm things down and then solve the problems.

Please let me know what further information people want and I'll do my best given the obvious need to keep a lot of the details of our response confidential.
  • It seems residents are keen for a chance to discuss what has been going on locally so there will be a residents' briefing about the recent violence at 6:30pm on 19 July in the Ivy Hall Community Centre on Crouch Hill (just up from the station near the Ilex House tower block). The meeting has been arranged by ward councillors and Jeremy Corbyn MP and representatives from the Police and Council will be there. All are welcome.
    Did anyone go to the meeting? Would you care to give us a précis of the discussion?
    I did. In summary:

The police and council have a good idea of where trouble comes from

The police have been talking to and working with people in the affected areas to help them

The council will evict people if they make trouble

The police reiterated that Islington and Stroud Green is generally a safe area that we should not worry about

There are a range of parenting courses available for those that want it

If you want to set up a neighbourhood watch you should contact the Safer Neighbourhood Team: 020 7421 0559

If you see anything untoward but not an emergency you should call the new number 101 or the Safer Neighbourhood Team: 020 7421 0559
    Thank you londonian, I feel quite ashamed of myself for not going. I hope that all of those who are constantly scaremongering (reporting a defective bus as a shooting etc.) took themselves along to find about more about what's really happening in the area. I live next to the Andover estate and I don't see any increase in general crime in my neck of the woods.
    Thanks londonian. I was planning on attending myself but a teething child demanded my attention.
    The main thing is that a few bad things have happened but that the authorities on on it and seem switched on to the causes.