Urban Beekeeping Finsbury Park

edited July 2011 in Local discussion
This does sound interesting... some friends of mine are doing it. Saturday July 23rd 11 - 1pm OR 2 - 4 pm Summer Beekeeping Courses 2011 Highbury Builders is once more holding its popular Introduction to Beekeeping short courses over the next couple of months in Finsbury Park. There is now a greater awareness of how important honey bees are to the health of our environment but a declining number of people with the skills to take care of these very important creatures. So why not come along and learn the basics of what beekeeping is all about - you will get to handle live bees and it may inspire you to become a beekeeper yourself. The course costs £30 and places are limited so its first come, first served! Subsequent Courses: Saturday August 6th 11 - 1pm OR 2 - 4 pm; Saturday August 20th 11 - 1pm OR 2 - 4 pm; Saturday September 3rd 11 - 1pm OR 2 - 4 pm; Book via e mail, stating your preferred date and time of course to Liam at: info@highburybuilders.co.uk <http://www.islingtongardeners.org.uk/new/events.php>;

Comments

• AliAli
    edited 8:32AM
    It is interesting to see what goes on in that area of the park. The Bee course is also very good. You get to handle them with all the gear on !
  • edited 8:32AM
    Finsbury Park always finds ways to amaze me. There are so many different activities done in that park.
    Do you need a big garden to keep bees? Is it ok to keep bees if you frequently have visitors under 5 years old?
    I watched the Swarm the other day.
    I thought about keeping bees, and I think I read that you have to have two meters of space for the bees to zoom in and out of the hive's entrance and it couldn't be right by a wall. My garden would be too small for it, although I have thought it might work better on a roof. I think if you keep bees you generally get stung a bit as well.