Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Top Posters

i Borboni

edited July 2011 in Reviews
This isn't really Stroud Green, but it's localish.

Has anyone tried i Borboni on Green Lanes by Manor House? I'm curious what people think. Someone recommended it for cheap and tasty Neapolitan food. The reviews are very good. But I mentioned it to a foodie friend, who absolutely hated it. She said the food was grey and bland. And this girl knows her Italian. I'd trust her over the person who first told me about it.

Anyway, I'm still debating whether or not to check it out. Has anyone had a positive experience?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I went to I Borboni a couple of months ago and was a little disappointed. Firstly the 2 things I wanted on the menu (which is a small selection of 3/4 starters/mains/sides) they didn't have. They said this was due to a change in the menu in the coming weeks. Anyhow I had tomato soup to start which was standard could have just been a tin of heinz. For main meal I had a chicken escalope and plus a spag bol to share with my friend (we had actual ordered a carbonara, the waiter didn't use a notepad). I believe you are meant to order a starter, a pasta dish and a main for the Neapolitan experience and to actually fill yourself up as the chicken escalope was exactly that with nothing else for £4! The food itself is very simply but cooked very well and tastes good but I was left a little disappointed and feeling hungry after my soup, escalope and half a spaghetti for about £9 in total. The good thing is that you can bring your own booze and there's no corkage charge. They are nice and friendly and they were telling us they were hoping to buy next door, expand and start doing pizzas. I'd say it's a nice place if you're looking for a snack and drink but not great if you're starving and want a proper meal I could have eaten what I got twice and I'm not a big person. I'd probably check it out again as they have a new menu and especially if they start doing pizzas. Hope this helps and I'd like to hear other peoples views